Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by gatorsmom View Post
    Harry and his family will always need security as long as he is the son and brother of a king. If Harry and his family can’t afford it, it should come from the BRF. I think paying for their security will go over much better if that’s the only thing the British people are paying for for him. Even if Harry and Meghan take up very normal, non- visible jobs, they will always maintain some level of celebrity due to his proximity to the crown. That’s something he can never escape.

This is the first I’ve heard that they are giving up their titles and a first for the BRF, if I’m not mistaken. If this works out for everyone, it could pave the way for Princess Charlotte or Prince Louis to break away and live a normal life, if they want to one day. I love the continuity, majesty and magic that the monarchy represents so I selflishly hope that Harry & Meghan’s decision doesn’t harm the monarchy. Frankly, I agree with one of the bloggers I linked to before. If they had kept their titles and started their charitable foundation it would have created a competing British court to rival Prince Charles’s and Prince Williams’s similar to what (it was rumored) the Duke of Windsor attempted to do. I sincerely hope this works out well for everyone.
    Yes, that exactly! There’s along history of alternative courts in England, and a bunch of battles and political machinations to go with it. I do think it’s different than being a celebratory. Even someone as big as Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie can step back a little, still make movies and support themselves and just do a little bit less press. Eventually someone more new and shiny will be selling more magazines than them. There is a finite set of people in line for the throne. Only two kids that were Princess Dianna’s. They will continue to sell magazine until the great grandkids are of age. Which is why I think the security shouldn’t all be on them, if for no other reason than national security issues. I also don’t think they have any obligations to do a huge amount of charity. It’s nice, but I don’t see a reason to hold them to a higher standard if they aren’t taking a salary and they are relinquishing their royal titles. They reality is even if they have a lifestyle brand it will only go so far by name alone. They are going to have to give some quality product.
    Last edited by dogmom; 01-18-2020 at 08:03 PM.