Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8
    dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by gatorsmom View Post
    Harry and his family will always need security as long as he is the son and brother of a king. If Harry and his family can’t afford it, it should come from the BRF. I think paying for their security will go over much better if that’s the only thing the British people are paying for for him. Even if Harry and Meghan take up very normal, non- visible jobs, they will always maintain some level of celebrity due to his proximity to the crown. That’s something he can never escape.

This is the first I’ve heard that they are giving up their titles and a first for the BRF, if I’m not mistaken. If this works out for everyone, it could pave the way for Princess Charlotte or Prince Louis to break away and live a normal life, if they want to one day. I love the continuity, majesty and magic that the monarchy represents so I selflishly hope that Harry & Meghan’s decision doesn’t harm the monarchy. Frankly, I agree with one of the bloggers I linked to before. If they had kept their titles and started their charitable foundation it would have created a competing British court to rival Prince Charles’s and Prince Williams’s similar to what (it was rumored) the Duke of Windsor attempted to do. I sincerely hope this works out well for everyone.
    Yes, that exactly! There’s along history of alternative courts in England, and a bunch of battles and political machinations to go with it. I do think it’s different than being a celebratory. Even someone as big as Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie can step back a little, still make movies and support themselves and just do a little bit less press. Eventually someone more new and shiny will be selling more magazines than them. There is a finite set of people in line for the throne. Only two kids that were Princess Dianna’s. They will continue to sell magazine until the great grandkids are of age. Which is why I think the security shouldn’t all be on them, if for no other reason than national security issues. I also don’t think they have any obligations to do a huge amount of charity. It’s nice, but I don’t see a reason to hold them to a higher standard if they aren’t taking a salary and they are relinquishing their royal titles. They reality is even if they have a lifestyle brand it will only go so far by name alone. They are going to have to give some quality product.
    Last edited by dogmom; 01-18-2020 at 08:03 PM.

California is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

That is a big step for them! I agree that the BRF should keep covering security costs. The Queen wouldn't want to make her grandson, his wife, and their child a target by revealing that she's pulling back funding on security.

I do wish it had worked out for Meghan and Archie to remain working members. I imagine that just like it was empowering for kids here in the US when Obama took office, there were kids who felt empowered seeing Meghan join the Queen's intimate family circle. But it's not Meghan or Archie's job to change the inherent racism around them when there's obviously such a high personal cost.

As a parent, I can't help but feel that it's really benefited Kate to have an established, strong family in England. She was able to retreat to the shelter of her parents' home after having her first baby, for Christmases- I don't follow this closely enough to know how much she's with them, but have always liked how she has this retreat with people who love her and have been a rock for her over the years. Her mom comes across as a strong, capable business woman. Meghan's clearly close to her mom. But the rest of her family sounds like a source of major stress and no support or strength. In her shoes I would want to get back to familiar ground and friends too!

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

If only Elizabeth had stepped in sooner to put the media in their place, criticize them for their racist and belittling comments and tone, maybe Harry and Meghan would have felt more supported. But clearly, the royal family didn’t do enough (and possibly let Meghan be attacked to draw them away from Prince Andrew). One thing the Queen or her “Grey men” did think through, though, was to not take away the Sussex’s titles completely. Unless I’m wrong they left the door open for Harry to return to royal service. Right now he’s only the grandson of the Monarch. But in a few years he will be the son and then later the brother to the king. Also according to the polls I read somewhere, after the Queen, Harry is Britain’s favorite royal. He carries a lot of interest and goodwill. He would be a powerful advocate for the crown. One day, maybe when Archie is grown and established somewhere, Harry and Meghan could be working royals again. I suspect the Queen wanted to leave the door open for that possibility by allowing them to retain their titles, even if they aren’t using them now.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

State of relief now that we will have sanity in the White House again

The queen made sure to go to church with Pedo Andy today. But Meghan has been thrown under the proverbial bus a million times. So gross.
    ds 2004
    ds 2006
    ds 2008
    ds 2010

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by *myfoursons View Post
    The queen made sure to go to church with Pedo Andy today. But Meghan has been thrown under the proverbial bus a million times. So gross.
    Andrew has resigned from royal duties, is still HRH and gets money from the Queen. Wonder if they want him to lay low for a few years then make a comeback?! Gross for sure

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8