Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

So glad I asked here and you're all sharing info! Thank you

We had to rehair a bow that went with the viola we borrowed from a neighbor in 6th. Then, we started renting from Shar when it was time to size up. That (cheap) bow got to where it wouldn't tighten, so Shar sent her another one, still rental quality. The one I purchased was this one, for $180 (reg. $240) https://www.sharmusic.com/Bows/Viola...---14-size.axd
    DD does practice quite a bit and went to viola camp last summer. Although she plays the piano just as much. Can't determine which one will win in the end! She also wants a baby grand, lol.

I am halfway across the country from Shar Music, but our middle school orchestra teacher recommended them to me. I think it's possible that DS' viola came from them, but I bought it secondhand through his orchestra teacher and don't know much about the instrument.

DD1 is my cello player, and I know more about that experience. I was told to expect to spend $1,000 on a cello for a middle schooler, although I waited until 9th grade to buy. DD1 has been using a full-sized cello for years, so size was not a factor. I also knew DD1 loved it by then. I looked on craigslist in the fall, learned good questions to ask from her teachers, and had her try out two instruments. In one case, after DD1 tried it, the seller (a retired orchestra teacher) let me borrow the instrument, bring it to her current teacher and get her opinion. She said it was good, not great, but good. The second one, I arranged for the seller to meet me at the school where we did the same thing. DD1 tried it, then her teacher and both said it was the superior instrument by far, so I bought that one for $850 (plus had to rehair the bow).

My hope is to do the same thing with DS' viola, but violas are less popular than cellos, and the sizing is trickier. DS loves it less than DD1. I am not sure I'm going to succeed in selling this one, than finding another secondhand one. Just seems like lightning has to strike twice.

DD1 has an opinion about the bows and instruments she tries, as I imagine most people would, especially if they like their instrument.

Also, I would love to know how the person used her bow for 12 years without re-hairing! DD2 is one her third bow.

eta: DD2 plays flute and piano. She is in 9th grade and not likely to stop doing either. Piano is just for fun for herself.. she does not perform, doesn't do it for school, takes lessons from a neighbor. Flute is something she does with band friends from school, lots of performances and auditions. So your daughter may like doing both instruments.
    Last edited by american_mama; 01-20-2020 at 02:28 AM.
    Advice and commentary on living overseas

DD1 15, DD2 12, and DS 9

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2