Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default shopping cart curiosity (grocery)

Shopping cart curiosity : When you see someone else's shopping cart at the store and say to yourself, what the heck are they making????

As a long time pro cook, I do this a lot. It keeps me thinking. But... this time of year, when folks are trying all kinds of new/wacky/stupid/strange diets, it can be such fun!

Today: A rail-thin woman buying maybe a dozen pink grapefruit and a bottle of red wine. And that's it. (she was in line, so nothing else coming.)

Two men with five or six pounds of steak and four bundles of firewood, plus some chips... football bbq in the snow???

Very tied mom with five kids, trying to keep one from adding to the cart, while another was adding behind her - I think they were tag-teaming on purpose!

Young Asian man with flank steak and three pounds of bok choy... inspired me to make stir-fry tomorrow!

What the heck do you do with dragonfruit, anyway?

Anyway -see anything good lately?

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Dragonfruit, copy the Starbucks Mango Dragonfruit drink (only if it's the red fruit inside). So yummy!!!!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

mom_hanna is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Dragonfruit: We peel it and eat it! It's awesome and my kids love it.Too bad it's so expensive that we don't buy it very often!

Hemlock is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

I love peeking inside other people’s shopping carts. I once saw a friend, who is always criticizing others on Facebook about their eating habits and preaching about how she only eats organic/heathy/fresh, with a cart FULL chips, cake, soda...

sariana is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Sometimes I'll see something that looks good on the belt and ask the person if I can come over for dinner!
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

All the time! The first week after New year's everyone had tons of fresh produce. The day before Thanksgiving the liquor department was packed. A few days ago a man was in line ahead of me wearing gym clothes and buying lots of organic produce and health food stuff plus a 12 pack of cheap beer and a box of Hot Pockets.

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Normally, Nope I cant say I really ever look at other people's carts. I did notice once someone had about 8gal of milk in their cart with a bunch of other stuff and I wondered how many kids they had. But thats about it.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

It’s funny. I was thinking about this. It totally depends on why and how I’m shopping as to what is in my cart. I get almost all my meat and many of my fruits and veggies from Sprouts and nothing else so when I shop there I like a health food superstar!

Costco is where I get bread and tortillas and crackers and also cheese and butter and yogurt and snacks for kids lunches. I look much junkier checking out at Costco!

And then Ralphs is my closest regular grocery store. I’ll get something like Tabasco and baking cocoa or some weird combos like that. I’m sure I get side eye, lol!

I totally watch carts at Costco. Somehow it seems to be more common there? I know people ask me all the time where I found something in my cart, if I like it, etc. I was trying on coats with my mom earlier this fall and three separate women stopped her and told her they owned it and how much they liked it.

I still remind my husband of the time I found my dream guy at Costco. He was checking out wearing about a nine month old on his chest. Buying milk, flowers and tampons.

newnana is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by belovedgandp View Post
    I still remind my husband of the time I found my dream guy at Costco. He was checking out wearing about a nine month old on his chest. Buying milk, flowers and tampons.
    It never occurred to me to look in someone else's cart I cannot stand when people comment on what is in mine. I must buy interesting stuff because it happens all the time. I loathe shopping so this unwanted interaction makes it extra bad. Hate hate hate that interaction, makes me want to go all second grade and tell the other person to mind their own beeswax.

But this dream guy interaction melts my heart. Awww! Spectacular.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast