Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I’m interested PunkyBoo!

I just looked at prices/availability in the Tusayan area and I think it might be out of reach for us? Since we’re a family of 6 most places need two rooms. Air BNB has mostly places without air conditioning (no thanks!) Were deciding between mid June and mid July and we might be too late for plum availability!

Incidentally when SHOULD these things be planned in advance?

PunkyBoo is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    I’m interested PunkyBoo!

I just looked at prices/availability in the Tusayan area and I think it might be out of reach for us? Since we’re a family of 6 most places need two rooms. Air BNB has mostly places without air conditioning (no thanks!) Were deciding between mid June and mid July and we might be too late for plum availability!

Sent you a PM!

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Baby Bargains mobile app

Mama to DS1 Punkin (2/04) and DS2 Boo (1/09)

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Quick hijack- where in the park should one stay? I need to plan a bucket list trip for my mom and I know nothing!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    We stayed at Yavapi. There are 5 hotels/lodges in the park. You get better rates booking directly through the parks website. One site handles 4 of the places and another one handle Yavapai. Yavapai often has availability because people only check the one site. The nicest one is El Tovar which is on the rim. Yavapai is like a Holiday Inn Express but close to the shuttles, a grocery store and easy parking.

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    I’m interested PunkyBoo!

For summer months I think you need to start at least 6 months in advance. The in park hotels book a year in advance.

California is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Following advice we got on here, my family added a one night stay in the park at a lodge on the south rim to an Arizona/New Mexico trip. I found the room by checking regularly for cancelations. It would be a bit harder for you since you need two rooms, but I do remember there being dates with more than one room available. It truly was wonderful to be there for sunset and sunrise. There was a fire along the north rim that was very visible at night. After the kids went to bed, DH and I took a stargazing stroll, and we got up earlier than our crew for a morning walk while the paths were still empty. We really enjoyed that time together without any of the daytime crowds.

The one caveat I'd put on the Grand Canyon is that there are not always railings, the railings often have huge gaps in them, and I think if I'd had a really young kid with me I would have been too nervous to enjoy myself. My co-worker just took her three year old on the train adventure to the park, and she didn't really enjoy the trip. She felt too focused on her kiddo (a runner). In her scenario, she was better off not staying in the park!

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We stayed right outside of the park on the south rim. I'd have to look up the city name. We booked a hotel just a week or so before we left on hotels.com. It was a really nice hotel and around $120 a night.

As for the park, we went in as soon as it opened, and we took the shuttle and walked around. It was really hot, so we only stayed there until early afternoon. Then we went back to enjoy the hotel pool before driving back the next day.

And like a previous poster mentioned, there are a lot of places where there is no railing. My youngest is 8, but I was so nervous the whole time. One wrong move, and they would go over the edge.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2