mommy111 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Practice questions for high school chemistry?

DS understands his sciences but has a really hard time with quizzes and tests. He’s scored poorly on several and when he speaks to his teacher, she says he is conceptually excellent but that he is not great at doing multiple choice questions and just needs practice with these questions. He does very well with open ended explanations etc.
    I was wondering if there are any sources of multiple choice questions that you use for high school students by subject topic. I’ve looked at the SAT etc books and these have whole tests which doesn’t really help much if he’s reading acids and bases. Also looked at Khan Academy but this doesn’t cover many of the topics that he’s studying. Online or paper is fine
    '...everything can be taken from a man but one thing, the Last of the Human Freedoms, the ability to choose one's behavior in any set of circumstances, the Freedom to Choose One's Own Way.' -Viktor Frankle

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Chart

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Does quizlet have chemistry questions? Does the teacher offer resources specific to her class? Our science teachers are so amazing, DD's physics teacher has a YouTube channel with all his lessons, he joked at open house that if we were having trouble sleeping to turn it on, it is a bit dry but helps if the kids want to watch a lesson again. They offer up plenty of test reviews and practice tests on Google classroom. Maybe the teacher can send you some ideas.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Yes, Quizlet is an excellent suggestion. You can look for established vocab cards/quizzes based on his specific textbook. He can review and practice taking quizzes.
    K

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Also maybe doing the test prep for a test like the ACT would give him specific practice on multiple choice questions. Also I would look into a test taking class for sharpening those skills.
    K

trales is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

As a college chemistry professor, I say do ALL the practice problems in the textbook. You could probably buy a different publishers old edition of a HS chem text for under $15. Every text is the same, they have different pictures, the material is the same. That would give you new practice problems. Beware of quizlet, it is student made, so it can have wrong answers. Brown and Lemay's Chemistry: A Central Science is one of the most popular texts out there, you can get older versions and maybe be able to find some teacher resources online.

I agree with his teacher, it is all about the practice. Understanding the broad concepts is not enough, he needs to be able to do all the little problems. The only way to do that is LOTS of problems.

I am very surprised that you are not finding it on Khan, that has the complete standard HS chemistry curriculum on it. The acid/ base section on Khan is pretty comprehensive.

What text is he using, what concepts are you looking for, you might just be searching in the wrong section.

For YouTube videos, you can try Professor Dave Explains and CrashCourse Chemistry.
    Tracey

DD1 3/07 Itching to take over the universe.
    DD2 1/14 My mellow little snuggler.

mommy111 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by trales View Post
    As a college chemistry professor, I say do ALL the practice problems in the textbook. You could probably buy a different publishers old edition of a HS chem text for under $15. Every text is the same, they have different pictures, the material is the same. That would give you new practice problems. Beware of quizlet, it is student made, so it can have wrong answers. Brown and Lemay's Chemistry: A Central Science is one of the most popular texts out there, you can get older versions and maybe be able to find some teacher resources online.

I agree with his teacher, it is all about the practice. Understanding the broad concepts is not enough, he needs to be able to do all the little problems. The only way to do that is LOTS of problems.

I am very surprised that you are not finding it on Khan, that has the complete standard HS chemistry curriculum on it. The acid/ base section on Khan is pretty comprehensive.

What text is he using, what concepts are you looking for, you might just be searching in the wrong section.

For YouTube videos, you can try Professor Dave Explains and CrashCourse Chemistry.
    thank you, this was enormously useful
    hes doing moles right now, for example, which is a fundamental topic but Khan has 3 questions on it so not really test prep worthy. I just need to get a whole bunch of old books looks like
    To another PP: teacher couldn’t really suggest anything
    '...everything can be taken from a man but one thing, the Last of the Human Freedoms, the ability to choose one's behavior in any set of circumstances, the Freedom to Choose One's Own Way.' -Viktor Frankle

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Chart

trales is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I did the google search "practice problem worksheet on moles" I got a lot of good hits, the saddleback university one has answers and looked great. That looked fairly basic HS level, but a lot of K-12 schools popped up also.
    The easiest solution would be to find an old text book or problem set. You can also see if you local community college/ uni has some used ones in the book store.
    Tracey

DD1 3/07 Itching to take over the universe.
    DD2 1/14 My mellow little snuggler.