Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Moving boxes

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Home Depot boxes were awesome. Lowe's boxes broke immediately. It was crazy the difference!

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

In our area people often offer boxes for free on Next Door after a move. You can check and ask if they were used just once and if they are the same brand. If it was a move where the movers packed for them then those boxes are usually very good and would hold up to a 2nd use.

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mmsmom View Post
    In our area people often offer boxes for free on Next Door after a move. You can check and ask if they were used just once and if they are the same brand. If it was a move where the movers packed for them then those boxes are usually very good and would hold up to a 2nd use.
    Tried. I’ve been too slow when people offer. We’re also a pet free house due to allergies so it’s hard to sift through free options.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Tried. I’ve been too slow when people offer. We’re also a pet free house due to allergies so it’s hard to sift through free options.

They go quick here too but for some reason when we moved no one wanted them and our curbside bulk pick up was on hold due to a storm so I had to pay someone to haul them away.

UHaul was cheapest for boxes last I looked.

I also highly recommend having movers quote packing for you. Their quote will include the boxes and packing material. In my experience it has not been that much more and the cost is well worth not having to do it yourself.

I bought from uhaul. Very easy and the boxes were durable.
    Last edited by westwoodmom04; 01-16-2020 at 02:26 PM.

Hmm....I thought I was set but now I don't know. Home Depot and U-Haul boxes cost the same BUT the U Haul ones have handles. Home Depot has ones with handles too but they cost almost $1 more than U Haul is selling them with handles. So now, do I want handles???

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Hmm....I thought I was set but now I don't know. Home Depot and U-Haul boxes cost the same BUT the U Haul ones have handles. Home Depot has ones with handles too but they cost almost $1 more than U Haul is selling them with handles. So now, do I want handles???
    I think I'd choose whatever is most convenient in terms of buying more if you need more/returning unused boxes (e.g. our Home Depot was super close, so it was easy to go get more boxes as needed and not have to worry about returning unused boxes). I don't think handles would make or break it...for Home Depot most of the boxes we used were the mediums and I could get my arms around those to lift them without a problem. And if movers are the ones moving them...

More important to label carefully so that you can direct the movers to which room to place boxes in. Colored post-its are good for this. For example put a pink post-it on the wall in the master bedroom and pink post-its on all master bedroom boxes to be stacked along that wall - if you do this you will need strips of packing tape across each post-it since they fall off easily.

Quote Originally Posted by twowhat? View Post
    I think I'd choose whatever is most convenient in terms of buying more if you need more/returning unused boxes (e.g. our Home Depot was super close, so it was easy to go get more boxes as needed and not have to worry about returning unused boxes). I don't think handles would make or break it...for Home Depot most of the boxes we used were the mediums and I could get my arms around those to lift them without a problem. And if movers are the ones moving them...

More important to label carefully so that you can direct the movers to which room to place boxes in. Colored post-its are good for this. For example put a pink post-it on the wall in the master bedroom and pink post-its on all master bedroom boxes to be stacked along that wall - if you do this you will need strips of packing tape across each post-it since they fall off easily.
    I bought these labels https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07F9...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    I’ll color code the doors to match.
    Both stores are equally convenient. Thanks for helping me think it through!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2