• 6th: My child was 12

3 7.32%
  • 7th: my child was 11 (fall birthday)

0 0%
  • 7th: my child was 12

0 0%
  • 7th: my child was 13

0 0%
  • If you did 6th grade would you do it again?

8 19.51%
  • I would’ve preferred 7th grade as the start of middle school.

1 2.44%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

It's 6-8th here and I had two ADHD kids go and do just fine. Most schools, I'm assuming, like ours, do a good job of easing the 6th graders into the changing classrooms, ours even has 6th on it's own wing.

Here's the thing, I would NOT base which house to buy on one grade, more importantly is the high school they will go to and if the house has what you want (nice neighborhood etc), THAT is much more important that whether she goes to middle school as a 6th or 7th grader. You are involved parents, no matter what, you'll be able to support her.

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Fifth. It’s actually great. I have read that a 4 year program is good because parents are committed and feel like they and their kids are in it for the long haul.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

6-8 is middle here. We homeschool but our co-op divides the kids k-4, 5-8, and then high school. That said, 5th and 6th and 7th and 8th are grouped together for a couple of classes like Speech, Latin, and History where those grade groupings track along with the same assignments/materials.

But middle school is temporary and your house will last for much, much longer. Your DD will survive it whichever grade she begins. Yes, middle is hard for everyone. SO much change, physical, emotional, etc. They aren't little kids anymore but still love to play and their bodies and brains are changing.
    K

essnce629 is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Middle is 6-8th here.

Although at DS1's private school the upper campus is actually 7-12th grade and the lower campus is k-6th.

I think kids adjust no matter what.

What is the difference between the schools' total population sizes? I think middle school is so full of physical and emotional changes that I prefer a smaller school for my kids, since I think the social emotional stuff during middle school is almost more important than the academics. Our local middle school has 2,200 kids! DS1 went to our charter middle school that had about 280 kids total at the time. DS2 will mostly likely attend as well next year and I think they're up to 450 kids now (their max). DS1 did well in the smaller environment and I think DS2 needs that even more.

Sent from my SM-A600P using Tapatalk
    Last edited by essnce629; 01-17-2020 at 02:54 AM.
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

We're 7-8, but my kids will be attending a "secondary school" so they'll be attending HS there as well. I couldn't imagine my kids in middle school this year, especially at the huge school they'll be attending. My niece on the other hand started middle school in 6th and it was perfect for her.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Our middle starts in sixth grade. DS was 1 month shy of 12 when he started, so I voted that he was 12 for that one. DD1 started days after turning 11 this year.

I don't think it's a big deal whether they start 6th or 7th. (I started middle in 7th.) Our 6th grade is almost a pod system, so they move with their entire class except for enrichment/specials.
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)

scrooks is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

5th. The 5-6 graders are in 1 1/2 of the building and the 7-8 graders in another part.

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieW625 View Post
    ... I really don’t think she will be ready for a true middle school in 6th grade (she is in 4th now, has ADHD, and is being tested for other learning disabilities....I suspect dyslexia), plus sometimes she comes across as immature. ...
    So, here's the thing ... the ADHD actually impacts maturity. My DD is also in 4th, has ADHD, and she lags behind similarly-aged peers in social skills and maturity level. We have to constantly remind ourselves of this, because she is otherwise a happy-go-lucky, well-adjusted kid ... it's just that she has a tendency to act more like a 1st or 2nd grader sometimes than a kid who's in the spring semester of 4th grade (early though it may be for us.)

Our district's middle school is 6-8, so my DD will start in 6th grade. She will likely achieve her objectives for her speech IEP, but we are actually adding a lot to her ADHD 504 this year.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3