• 6th: My child was 12

3 7.32%
  • 7th: my child was 11 (fall birthday)

0 0%
  • 7th: my child was 12

0 0%
  • 7th: my child was 13

0 0%
  • If you did 6th grade would you do it again?

8 19.51%
  • I would’ve preferred 7th grade as the start of middle school.

1 2.44%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default When did your children start middle school?

We are looking at houses in our new area (we are moving this summer) and district A in the city is 6-8 middle school and the district B is 7-8. I am leaning towards 7-8 for Dd2 because I really don’t think she will be ready for a true middle school in 6th grade (she is in 4th now, has ADHD, and is being tested for other learning disabilities....I suspect dyslexia), plus sometimes she comes across as immature. The only positive I have heard about starting middle school early per my sister who is a middle school teacher is that adhd kids often don’t need parts of their IEP OR 504 plan anymore because they move every hour or so to a new classroom; but even my sister still thinks 7th grade is a better start for middle school and she teaches at a 6-8 middle school.

My Dd1 goes to a k-8 school so she technically started middle school in 6th grade because they switch classes but it isn’t a traditional large public middle school.

FWIW: the houses in the 6th grade district are slightly more affordable and seem to come on the market more than the ones in the 7-8 district but I still have reservations about finding the perfect house in district A because of the middle school so we are really concentrating in district B. We may qualify for inter district transfer as well from A to B, but I don’t want to chance that as well.

Oops....forgot the K-8 option

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 01-16-2020 at 02:35 PM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Our district has several buildings: K-5, 6-7, 8-9, and 10-12. The neighboring district currently has middle school being 7-8, but they are planning on changing it to 6-8. DD was totally ready for middle school in 6th grade. DS1 is in 5th grade, and I think he will be fine. He also has ADHD, anxiety, and OCD.

I think it’s all relative. It’s not like her fellow students will be any older than her. I wouldn’t pick a district based on that criteria alone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

We live in an area where redshirting is common for what it’s worth. Middle school here is 6 to 8 at all public and most private schools. There are a few K-8 private’s and some private’s have middle school start in fifth.

Both my kids started middle in 6th and were more than prepared for it. By the end of fifth grade, they definitely had far more in common with middle schoolers than the younger elementary kids.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I agree with pp- it isn't something I would factor in to the school choice. It's really a very short term issue (if it's even an issue at all). Convenient location, where the bulk of the neighborhood goes and other logistics are what I would use to decide. Mine started in 6th and it is fine. It doesn't look all that different than 5th and the teachers get that they're young.

kdeunc is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

DD is in the 6th grade at a 6-8 Middle School. She is a young 11, she is a late July birthday. The options in our county are 6-8 or it is a K-8 school. She is doing OK and I would not use it as a factor in relocating but personally I would like 6th remaining with elementary school. I went to Junior High as opposed to Middle School and we were 7th - 9th so that probably colors my preference.
    Kelly

DS 1 12-02
    DS 2 12-04
    DD 07-08

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

all 4 of mine have or will start middle school in 6th grade. I don't see the big deal really the kids are all the same age group. I went to a small district and we moved to the hig school building in 7th. K-6 was the elementary 7-12 High school only one bus system all ages were on the same bus.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

kristenk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Our local school district has 6-8 middle school. A neighboring district has 7-8 junior high. Yet another neighboring district has 6-9 intermediate school. I’m pretty sure there’s a 7-8 middle school around here, too.

6th grade, no matter the “type” of school it’s housed in, is still 6th grade. As is 7th.

Pick the house that works for you in a good school district and ignore how they label the schools. It really doesn’t matter. As long as your DD is attending 6th grade with other 6th graders, she’ll be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Middle school in my current district is 5-8. They keep the 5th graders pretty separate from the rest of the school, but I still do not like it. We're planning to move to a different school district before then though (because the middle and high school are not good schools) so I haven't thought too much about it. Most other districts nearby are 6-8 for middle school. Though some also split up K-3 from 4-5.
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

My kids attend a small private school. Our middle school is 5 - 8. They keep the 5th graders pretty separate from the upper grades. My DS1 loved being in the middle school in 5th. I think DS2 would do well to have an extra year with the lower grades. He’s currently a 4th grader.
    Last edited by jgenie; 01-17-2020 at 03:09 PM.

anonomom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Our middle schools are all, as far as I know, 6-8. DD2 is in 5th grade and is dying to get out of elementary school. The school works really hard to ease the transition for 6th graders by dividing the grade into teams and providing other support. And the middle school provides so many more clubs and extracurriculars than the elementary, so it's much easier for kids to find a friend group.
    DC1 -- 2005 DD -- 2009 DS -- 2011

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast