• 6th: My child was 12

3 7.32%
  • 7th: my child was 11 (fall birthday)

0 0%
  • 7th: my child was 12

0 0%
  • 7th: my child was 13

0 0%
  • If you did 6th grade would you do it again?

8 19.51%
  • I would’ve preferred 7th grade as the start of middle school.

1 2.44%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    AnnieW625 is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default When did your children start middle school?

We are looking at houses in our new area (we are moving this summer) and district A in the city is 6-8 middle school and the district B is 7-8. I am leaning towards 7-8 for Dd2 because I really don’t think she will be ready for a true middle school in 6th grade (she is in 4th now, has ADHD, and is being tested for other learning disabilities....I suspect dyslexia), plus sometimes she comes across as immature. The only positive I have heard about starting middle school early per my sister who is a middle school teacher is that adhd kids often don’t need parts of their IEP OR 504 plan anymore because they move every hour or so to a new classroom; but even my sister still thinks 7th grade is a better start for middle school and she teaches at a 6-8 middle school.

My Dd1 goes to a k-8 school so she technically started middle school in 6th grade because they switch classes but it isn’t a traditional large public middle school.

FWIW: the houses in the 6th grade district are slightly more affordable and seem to come on the market more than the ones in the 7-8 district but I still have reservations about finding the perfect house in district A because of the middle school so we are really concentrating in district B. We may qualify for inter district transfer as well from A to B, but I don’t want to chance that as well.

Oops....forgot the K-8 option

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 01-16-2020 at 02:35 PM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)