Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Tenasparkl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by doberbrat View Post
    I agree. With packages getting stolen in so many places, you'd think they'd at least issue some of those magnetic decals or some light up signs similar to lyft/uber.
    Just recently the amazon deliveries in my area have switched from plain cars/trucks to amazon branded vans/trucks. All of a sudden I see them everywhere!

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mom2binsd View Post
    It's amazing to me how paranoid our society has become, nobody answers their door anymore and I don't think there is more crime these days. I know people who spend a lot of time watching their front door.
    Yes to this!

I'm pretty sure that statistics show that crime in all areas is way less now than it was 30 and 40 years ago, but because of the 24 hour news cycle, social media, and things like Nextdoor and Ring Neighborhood people have come to believe that the world is so much more dangerous when the exact opposite is true. I let my 10 year son walk to the mall and the grocery store by himself (with no cell phone) and I'm surprised I haven't been arrested yet! It's basically unheard of nowadays because everyone is so scared! He'd love to have a friend go with him but everyone is so paranoid and riddled with anxiety.

Sent from my SM-A600P using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Amazon delivery...

Doesn’t bother me at all but I live in a more urban area than rural. There is constant activity on my street with landscapers, deliveries, contractors, people cutting through the neighborhood. The only time I get a bit uncomfortable is if they’re idling for like 15 minutes outside. Happens like once a year though so out of the ordinary.
    I have no doorbell cam, no Next Door...I can text my neighbor (retired guy) if I want to bounce anything off of him.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Not to get too far topic, but my NextDoor is insane. To be fair, my subdivision had a spate of car break-ins last summer, so it doesn't hurt to be aware. But now you see posts like "I saw a woman in jeans and tall boots just walking down the street. That's not an outfit you wear if you're going for walk!"

The unmarked cars never bothered me either, but I'm in the office most of the week, so I never saw them anyway. But like others, we now get deliveries from Amazon-branded vans.
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Tenasparkl View Post
    Just recently the amazon deliveries in my area have switched from plain cars/trucks to amazon branded vans/trucks. All of a sudden I see them everywhere!
    That’s been mostly true here, too, except during peak holiday delivery when Amazon obviously pressed anything with wheels into service!

I live in a retirement community with almost 500 residents, so we constantly have delivery trucks of all sorts here, and i certainly don’t recognize all my neighbors' cars. My big complaint is that — unlike UPS, USPS, FedEx et al — many of the Amazon folks don’t wear any distinguishing identification. For a while, they were wearing vests but now, lots of them don’t. I live on the second floor of an apartment building so it’s unnerving to see some random person walking down the hall peering at doors (especially if they’re not carrying any obvious packages).

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I haven't been concerned. However, a friend in my town had one of the drivers, who wasn't even delivering to her property but the one next door, aggressively approach her, her 10yr old daughter and her leashed brown lab screaming to get the dog away from him because he's allergic and then kicked the dog (still leashed and not being aggressive) squarely in the chest. The woman was so caught off guard and trying to keep her daughter and dog safe that she didn't get the license plate on the car. This happened a few weeks before Xmas. She filed a police report but they can't do anything obviously because they don't know who did it. She filed a complaint with Amazon and they've been super slow in responding at all. Their insurance provider called her and said that they've had a lot of drivers get bitten by dogs. The driver himself told the woman "I can kick your dog if I want to!" Yeah so, has nothing to do with a driver approaching a leashed dog voluntarily and kicking it! So now I'm more worried about these drivers and their apparent permission from Amazon to harm dogs because I have a pit/lab mix and he's on invisible fence and he barks at strangers (before falling to the ground for belly rubs and kisses). My dog's a perfect target for someone like this guy.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

mom2akm is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

There's an article in New York Times last September about Amazon's unmarked delivery trucks and it may explain why they are unmarked:
    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/05/u...accidents.html

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Doesn’t bother me at all but I live in a more urban area than rural. There is constant activity on my street with landscapers, deliveries, contractors, people cutting through the neighborhood. The only time I get a bit uncomfortable is if they’re idling for like 15 minutes outside. Happens like once a year though so out of the ordinary.
    I have no doorbell cam, no Next Door...I can text my neighbor (retired guy) if I want to bounce anything off of him.

That’s my neighborhood too. It isn’t often we get strange cars just idling for that long, but what’s becoming more common on top of FedEX, UPS is the Amazon vans now. They’re popping up all over my neighborhood now, and had one such van idling at my corner for over 20 mins. It made me think that the van needed help more than anything? So I checked him out and it was fine, just on his break.

Having that said, we do have a ring doorbell. It’s useful for us as we’ve a long driveway with wide expanse to park several cars, but it’s out of sight unless you’re in the home office. So we just bought 2nd one which we haven’t hooked up above our garages.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default Amazon delivery...

Quote Originally Posted by dogmom View Post
    I don’t feel unsafe. I constantly feel bad for these drivers hustling trying to make a buck. I have a bad driveway in snow. A regular UPS driver knows when they can and cannot get up. However, no that Amazon is using these people they can get screwed. Get a car stuck then have to walk up. I’ve cut down my deliveries. Add to it most the drivers are of color and they are driving in these well off white neighborhoods I imagine the police are constantly getting calls about them. (If my local news police log is of any indication.) Every time I have dealt with a driver they have been so nice.

Honestly, if it makes you that nervous don’t buy from Amazon.

Also, will be a cold day in hell before a get one of those video doorbells.
    I felt the same but had a neighbor’s camera (neighbor is policeman) catch some footage of DS when he walking home and stopped by a man in a car who tried to either grab DS or his backpack off his shoulder. DS is 15 and 5’7” and our neighborhood is considered very safe. I’ve never worried about him walking home. DS is fine, he was able to get away and call the police. Another neighbors ring camera got footage of a house break in, appliances were stolen in the middle of the night from a house being renovated.

DH is putting up some cameras, not just for us, but it may catch part of the street for others. We won’t be sitting there watching footage, but will be able to look at it if needed

legaleagle is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by carolinacool View Post
    Not to get too far topic, but my NextDoor is insane.
    The Best of NextDoor twitter is amazing if you haven't seen it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast