Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Lake Michigan, either east or west side!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

smilequeen is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

When I think relaxing the beach is the first thing that comes to mind. Which beach depends on budget and possibly location. We are Midwest so Hawaii vs Caribbean is about the same travel time and I prefer those to continental US but there are some great beaches on the East Coast/Florida for relaxing. Michigan is also a good option. We are really thinking of hitting Mackinac for along weekend this summer.
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

mommy111 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Europe. All the teenage kids love it. And it’s one of those times where they actually wull
    hang out with us
    '...everything can be taken from a man but one thing, the Last of the Human Freedoms, the ability to choose one's behavior in any set of circumstances, the Freedom to Choose One's Own Way.' -Viktor Frankle

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Chart

We love Monterey area or San Diego. kayaking, playing in the surf every night, something to do besides the beach every day. Hiking. fun.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

Agree with lots of the above. Beach resorts are fun and give the kids places to wander. It’s also nice to see new places together, where everyone is on equal footing (meaning your first time somewhere, too). We’ve incorporated resort-type hotels into Europe trips and that’s a nice balance of exploring plus down time. Some of the alpine villages in Switzerland, Italy, Austria, etc. are great for that. A lot of people think of European vacations as marchs to museums and historic sites, but we’ve embraced limiting that and wandering around to relax and enjoy street performers, small towns and villages, and those wonderful alpine huts that have great food and drink with beautiful views and comfortable seating in the middle of nowhere as you hike!

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Relaxing family vacation with teens?

I think my kids must be part sloths. They seriously don’t want to go anywhere when on vacation. Can’t even drag them to go play mini golf. Maybe I can get them to the ice cream store, that’s about it. Hiking, wandering around quaint towns, catching beautiful vistas...nope. They declared 2 years ago that only our oceanfront beach house rental qualified as vacation. I’m sure they’d say the same about a beach resort so long as they weren’t expected to do anything. 🤣 Sloths, I tell you.
    ETA- I have to define travel as either a trip or vacation. If they know it’s a trip then they’re more amenable to doing stuff. Vacation just gets their hopes up!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Last edited by SnuggleBuggles; 01-18-2020 at 10:46 AM.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

My teen did Europe with school. Loved it but not sure if that was partly because all his friends were there.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

PunkyBoo is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by janeybwild View Post
    Kauai! Where did you stay?
    We stayed in South shore, in Poipu. We were there over Thanksgiving break and it is less rainy on South side in the winter. I've heard that in the summer you'd want North shore. But we had a car and went all over the island.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Baby Bargains mobile app

Mama to DS1 Punkin (2/04) and DS2 Boo (1/09)

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Yep, beaches have been the most relaxing for our family too. We liked doing an all-inclusive in Cancun. There were other things to do (which was important for DH), and the kids still dreaming about throwing themselves into those waves. We went 2 spring breaks in a row to the same beach resort.

The next most relaxing vacation (voted on by our family recently) was the southern countryside in France. We stayed in a small town where the kids and I could walk to the grocery store, a nice deli, a bakery, and 3 excellent restaurants. They loved that they could walk outside to discover stuff. But there were small day trips to see Roman ruins, ornate churches and historical stuff which pleases those of us who like to go out and explore for fun. We went in May/June before the European high tourism season (July & August) and before it got too hot there.

Our kids voted the least relaxing trip was our stays in Paris and Strasbourg. We rented apartments in both and the kids didn’t like the busy streets, noisy traffic and the difficulty getting to the things we wanted to do and see. The youngest two didn’t like the crowded museums and our oldest son wanted to spend hours examining stuff in museums long after the youngest ones were done. The twins’ and DS2’s favorite thing in Paris was running around and racing boats in the large pond at the Luxembourg gardens.

The packing for a beach vacation is easier and more fun too. Much less planning involved. Hth!
    Last edited by gatorsmom; 01-18-2020 at 11:57 AM.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

smilequeen is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

r.e. Europe for relaxing, look at Greece if that interests you. A lot of beach resorts and Athens can be done in a shorter time than some other European cities. We found that to be our most relaxing European vacation with kids so far. We stayed in Santorini, Chania, Elounda, and Athens.
    Last edited by smilequeen; 01-20-2020 at 12:17 PM.
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast