NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Any stores still offer alterations on women’s clothes?

A while ago, I posted a plea on behalf of a family member for help finding curvy style dress pants in petite plus, after her longtime Macy’s favorite style was discontinued. A number of you suggested Talbots, which has come close but don’t quite fit right. Talbots apparently does not offer alterations. Macy’s website doesn’t mention alterations. And the last Nordstrom in her state closed...

Back in the old days, most department stores and good clothing stores had in-house alteration services. Did these go out with dial phones and exploding pressure cookers? Or is this a regional thing?

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

J Crew used to offer alterations. I have no idea if they still do as I haven’t shopped there in many years. But a decent tailor is a great thing to have and then you can shop anywhere and get the alterations you need. Try posting on a local FB group for recommendations. Lots of people have the skills to alter clothing but don’t have big promotional material so depend on word of mouth for new customers.
    momma to DD 12/08 & DS 3/13

I was going to suggest Nordstrom, but apparently that's not an option. Macy's website does say they offer alterations. The way it's worded I would assume it's not at all stores. https://www.customerservice-macys.co...on-services%3F
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My dry cleaner offers alteration services. I always have to get my work pants altered. It’s a small mom and pop type shop, but she does a great job.

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by TwinFoxes View Post
    I was going to suggest Nordstrom, but apparently that's not an option. Macy's website does say they offer alterations. The way it's worded I would assume it's not at all stores. https://www.customerservice-macys.co...on-services%3F
    Thank you! I spent a ridiculous amount of time on the Macy’s website and didn’t find this. Maybe it’s because it knew where I live and the local stores don’t offer this?

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

doberbrat is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

search for 'tailor' and you may find someone. Or post on your neighborhood website. My mom alters my pants for me and is teaching my kids how to do it. Its a dying art but you can still find local people to do it.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

If she's short she needs to find herself a local tailor, have her ask on nextdoor or similar.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by PZMommy View Post
    My dry cleaner offers alteration services. I always have to get my work pants altered. It’s a small mom and pop type shop, but she does a great job.
    Yes to this. Try the dry cleaners for recommendations for tailors/seamstresses. They usually know of a few because when customers bring their clothes in for care, repairs are often requested. Otherwise, call a bridal shop. They usually have some one in house and if they can’t do it for you (in between proms and summer weddings) then they may be able to recommend someone else.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.