Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Rescue my Brussel Sprouts Please

I am new to cooked brussel sprouts. I tried the method where you cook them on the stove stop in a little water--a little too mushy for me. Tonight I tossed 8-10 sprouts with a T of olive oil, salt, and pepper, and roasted them on a sheet pan at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. (I cut off the stems and cut them in half) They looked burnt. They tasted ok but were not golden brown--they were black. Should I decrease the heat? I had them on a lower oven rack. Should I not have cut them in half? Help!! Thanks for any advice!
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

mom2binsd is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

No cut in half is good, I roast at 425, I like the outer burnt pieces that flake off.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Not sure, since you had already cooked them once.

I roast all my veggies at 465 degrees since I don't like waiting! Nothing is ever burned and usually takes around 20-30 minutes from raw and cut in half. I always check and stir at the 15-20 minute mark.

Sent from my SM-A600P using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I use the first recipe in this thread. We’ve tried other recipes but always come back to this one.

https://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/sh...you-can-be-too!

niccig is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by jgenie View Post
    I use the first recipe in this thread. We’ve tried other recipes but always come back to this one.

https://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/sh...you-can-be-too!
    I do the first recipe too, minus the balsamic vinegar and grate Parmesan cheese on them

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I think you may need more olive oil. Checkout barefoot contessa’s recipe. Another amazing option is to roast with chopped bacon.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

KpbS is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I slice mine in half so they cook more evenly/quickly when roasting in the oven. I don’t use high heat though, usu about 365/370 and stir once about at the 20 min mark.
    K

marinkitty is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I often roast mine with EVOO and plenty of salt at 400 (I usually go about 30 minutes) but my favorite is made in a cast iron skillet with this recipe from Gwenyth's cookbook:

https://roarevents.com/one-bite-mond...ssels-sprouts/

Globetrotter is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I have recently Found that the secret is to cut them in half and steam them first in the microwave or however you want. Then toss them in olive oil and salt and roast. I also add a penzeys spice mix like mural of flavor. I do 400° and Turn them over when they are browned. For years I was just roasting them directly and, by the time they cooked enough to be eaten, they tended to get burnt.
    "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What? You, too? I thought I was the only one." C.S. Lewis

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I roast them in the oven at 400 for about 30 min. YMMV depending on your oven! If you have a convection oven, you will need less time. I like to cut in half, coat in olive oil (you want each piece to be fully coated - rub the olive oil over them with your hands, rolling them in your hands. You don't necessarily need a ton of oil - you just want them to be completely coated with a thin layer, and then add salt and sometimes I like to add a little onion powder. You will need plenty of salt but you can always add more after they are done.

I think for you I would just make adjustments based on your oven - move the rack to the center so that the outer leaves don't burn before the inside is cooked through. Watch the time - start with 15 min and then add time in 5 min increments so that you can figure out how long it takes your oven. They are done when the outer leaves turn crispy and golden. If you use a metal pan (which I recommend, don't think I'd use glass for 400), I like to lay them cut side down because then the bottoms get roasty toasty yummm!!! They are the only veggie my kids will actually ask for.
    Last edited by twowhat?; 01-20-2020 at 02:28 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast