Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Best way to start the dive into Disney?

We are considering a trip in the next year or two. I haven't been to either park or done any research, reading, etc. since I was a kid. Where do I start??? There's so much out there. When there's tons of information, I often do best with a physical book that I can flip through, visually see chapter break downs, mark down pages, etc. Can anyone recommend their fav comprehensive book (there's so many!!!)? I tried to look at my library to at least get ideas of which I liked, but they have almost zero travel guide books for some reason!

I'm definitely open to websites as well, but I feel like sometimes those are more helpful when I already have a general idea and am gathering more detailed information, vs. starting from scratch.

Thank you!
    Lizi

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

That’s when I go to a physical bookstore, grab all options, find a comfy spot and choose a book. The Unofficial Guide is pretty popular.
    There are a million websites and forums. I think the WDW Prepschool articles are good. I think the DisBoards are way too intense. I’m sure they’d be helpful but lots of posters, lots of Disney diehards and lots of opinions. I think they’d be ok for asking specific questions but not a place to begin.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    That’s when I go to a physical bookstore, grab all options, find a comfy spot and choose a book. The Unofficial Guide is pretty popular.
    There are a million websites and forums. I think the WDW Prepschool articles are good. I think the DisBoards are way too intense. I’m sure they’d be helpful but lots of posters, lots of Disney diehards and lots of opinions. I think they’d be ok for asking specific questions but not a place to begin.

I can't believe I didn't think to go to a bookstore!!! I seriously do so little shopping (other than groceries) in brick and mortar stores that I never even considered that. That is definitely what I need to do -- thank you....
    Lizi

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

The Unofficial Guide is widely popular.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Liziz View Post
    I can't believe I didn't think to go to a bookstore!!! I seriously do so little shopping (other than groceries) in brick and mortar stores that I never even considered that. That is definitely what I need to do -- thank you....
    Yep! I forgot about that option too but I used it to pick a college guide book and cookbooks (I took with me the list of recommendations from here and checked them all out). Definitely so nice to just thumb through the books. And, unlike my library, at least the current versions are guaranteed to be there. Have fun!

The Unofficial Guide is definitely the one to get. I resold mine after our most recent trip on a fb mom to mom sales group for just a few dollars less than I paid for it. I also live by their app.

Yes, get the Unofficial Guide, and then subscribe to the website touringplans.com. Having bought the physical book will give you a discount for the website.

trentsmom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I did most of my research right here on this board! Just about everything else was overwhelming to me. And I really trusted the opinions of those who post here. I did buy a guidebook (don't remember which one), and it was so helpful in planning which things to hit and especially which things to avoid. (No spinning rides for me!)
    DS1 11/03
    DS2 5/09

+1 for Unofficial Guide latest edition, plus a Touring Plans subscription (may have discount code in the book) and their Lines app.

Start with the guide, I kept it in my car/ purse and made progress through it whenever I had a few minutes waiting somewhere, highlighted things, etc. It was a good primer and made filtering the info from all the bazillion useful but Byzantine blogs a little easier.
    DS 2014

klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

The Unofficial Guide is probably the most popular, BUT things move quickly & a lot of the advice can get outdated before you go. (Like, I don't think Rise of the Resistance is really in the newest book.)

I personally like easywdw.com, especially the cheat sheets for each park. https://www.easywdw.com/easy/cheat-s...-wait-times-4/ He's also co-author to a different guidebook. https://www.amazon.com/easy-Guide-Di...language=en_US
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast