Thread: Skincare help!

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Skincare help!

I need BBB help! I'm in my late 30's and my skin seems to be sensitive. I used to use Clinique face wash and moisturizer but it now causes dyshidrotic eczema on my fingers and hands. I have no idea what chemical is causing it, but something is because I've tried other brands and they also seem to cause it. It doesn't cause any issues with my face usually. I just tried a new moisturizer (from Lush) and it broke my skin out something fierce and caused the eczema. I'm currently using Cera Ve but I don't feel like the moisturizer is strong enough and I think it's time I use something for redness and aging. It however doesn't irritate my eczema and my face doesn't break out. So does anyone have any suggestions for sensitive skin that would make my skin feel more moisturized? I either want it to be not too expensive, or if it's expensive I need it to have smaller sizes that I can try before investing in a bigger product in case it causes my hands to break out.

legaleagle is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I've always had dry sensitive skin but I've found in the last few years (I'm 41) that I really had to update the *hydration* not just the emollient oil creams to keep my skin happy. I've been using this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 on damp skin followed immediately by this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 then with heavier cream on top and it's made a huge difference. My skin really loved urea so the hada labo one works particularly well for me.

https://www.byrdie.com/dehydrated-or-dry-skin

Quote Originally Posted by MSWR0319 View Post
    I need BBB help! I'm in my late 30's and my skin seems to be sensitive. I used to use Clinique face wash and moisturizer but it now causes dyshidrotic eczema on my fingers and hands. I have no idea what chemical is causing it, but something is because I've tried other brands and they also seem to cause it. It doesn't cause any issues with my face usually. I just tried a new moisturizer (from Lush) and it broke my skin out something fierce and caused the eczema. I'm currently using Cera Ve but I don't feel like the moisturizer is strong enough and I think it's time I use something for redness and aging. It however doesn't irritate my eczema and my face doesn't break out. So does anyone have any suggestions for sensitive skin that would make my skin feel more moisturized? I either want it to be not too expensive, or if it's expensive I need it to have smaller sizes that I can try before investing in a bigger product in case it causes my hands to break out.
    I have crazy dry skin and a chemical allergy to methylisothiazolinone, which is found in tons of products. I use Cerave moisturizing cream on my face in the winter per my derm's recommendation - the tub kind that you put on the rest of your body. I would encourage you to get chemical skin patch testing to try to determine which chemical is causing your problem - most of those allergies are contact, which means the more you are exposed the worse the reaction.

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I was in my late 30’s when I developed a bunch of new allergies (seasonal, food and chemical type allergies) and certain chemicals broke me out something awful. I wouldn’t buy anything expensive, if I were you before you see a dermatologist and find out what you are developing an allergy to. Then, honestly, I love Paula’s choice products for my face.
    Last edited by gatorsmom; 01-21-2020 at 06:46 PM.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

mom2khj is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by gatorsmom View Post
    I was in my late 30’s when I developed a bunch of new allergies (seasonal, food and chemical type allergies) and certain chemicals broke me out something awful. I wouldn’t buy anything expensive, if I were you before you see a dermatologist and find out what you are developing an allergy to. Then, honestly, I love Paula’s choice products for my face.
    I have used PC since before it was more well known. I highly recommend her stuff. Especially the basics. I don't use most of the newer "fancier" products she's been adding to her line unless I get samples.
    mom to DD1 (17), DD2 (14) and DS (9)

amyx4 is offline Copper level (50+ posts)

One of my teens has eczema. He tried everything the pediatrician suggested with some improvement but it was never long lasting.

The pediatrician suggested a dermatologist. It took a few months to get in but it was so worth it! Turns out he has an allergy to an ingredient in shampoos, lotions, body washes, sunscreen, etc.

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mom2khj View Post
    I have used PC since before it was more well known. I highly recommend her stuff. Especially the basics. I don't use most of the newer "fancier" products she's been adding to her line unless I get samples.
    You might have been the one who recommended it! I started using PC after hearing about it and Beautypedia here. So glad I did.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.