Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Updated!! Sedona and Phoenix/Scottsdale?

We just booked a long weekend in Phoenix for February (flying in from NYC). Tentative plan is to spend the first couple of days in Sedona (will book a pink Jeep tour and also want to tour through Antelope Canyon) and then relax for a couple of days at a resort in Phoenix or Scottsdale.

Looking for advice on:

- What else shouldn’t we miss in Sedona or nearby?

- Best family resort in Phoenix or Scottsdale? I’ve been looking at the JW Marriott or Phoenician - would love heated pools, bikes to ride around the property (kids are 8 and 11), and tennis. Maybe fire pits at night?

- Restaurant recs in either place?

Thank you!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by alootikki; 02-18-2020 at 12:47 AM.

Make sure to go to the Heard Museum in Phoenix--it is an amazing display of all things Native American. It is a great, fun learning experience.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

Exactly how long? We are doing this trip in April. Antelope Canyon is very far and will consume an entire day. For a long weekend doesn't sound like you will have time for relaxing and doing things? What are your priorities?
    Will take a good couple of hours to get to Sedona from PHX airport so factor that in.

There's may hikes/spas in the Sedona area. Pink Jeep tour is highly recommended.

Several great resorts in Scottsdale area - there's a Hyatt Regency and Westin Kierland. Hyatt has a huge Waterpark but not sure what is open in Feb.

Here's our itinerary:

Day 1 Phx - spend night late arrival
    Day 2 - Travel to Sedona, see Montezuma's castle, hiking, Bell Cathedral
    Day 3 - Travel to Grand Canyon for day trip
    Day 4 - Pink Jeep Tour then travel to Scottsdale
    Day 5 - Scottsdale - relax let kids enjoy water time
    Day 6 - leave Phx
    Last edited by marymoo86; 01-23-2020 at 11:29 AM.

DD1 MiniMoo 11/10
    DD2 MiniMoo2 9/13

“I have certain rules I live by. My first rule I don't believe anything the government tells me. and I don't take very seriously the media, or the press, in this country." - George Carlin

Globetrotter is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Do not miss Dahl and Diluca ristorante in Sedona. Aren’t you vegetarian? We couldn’t get over all the creative, flavorful options! The chocolatree organic eatery has bland indian food (not worth it) amongst other things. But it’s a cute location and very Sedona bohemian.
    The pink lady Jeep tour was a bit hokey, but I think kids would enjoy the fast paced one. We did the gentle ride and that was enough bumping around for me, so I don’t think I’d like the bumpy one! We weren’t so much into meditating so our guide basically took photos of us at the scenic spots lol
    there are some nice scenic hikes in Sedona. I would say that was the highlight! The Sugarloaf/teacup trail is lesser known and a nice surprise!
    "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What? You, too? I thought I was the only one." C.S. Lewis

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by alootikki View Post

- Restaurant recs in either place?

We like Wildflour Bakery up in Sedona for snacky food.

In the Phoenix-metro, we usually send people to restaurants in downtown Gilbert - Liberty Market, Culinary Dropout (make a reservation, though), and I think the one my in-laws like is called Postino.

We also recommend Joe's Farm Grill, which is in the Agritopia section of Gilbert; if the weather's nice, we like to sit outside.

For pub grub, we recommend SanTan Brewing in Chandler; we also like Paletas Betty (which is around the corner from SanTan) and The Screamery (about a block and a half down from SanTan, same side of the street) for frozen treats.

Best breakfast place is Over Easy (owned by the same people who own Matt's Big Breakfast) which has multiple locations all over the Valley; we usually go to the one in Mesa.

If you're up for trying it, we really liked the original LoLo's Chicken and Waffles in downtown Phoenix.

In Scottsdale, we used to like Old Town Tortilla Factory (pricey, though) and my in-laws took us to Olive & Ivy this last trip (quite good; DH and I recommend the bruschetta ... he does not recommend their take on a gyro, because it's not actually a gyro)

I'd avoid the Sugar Bowl in Scottsdale for anything other than ice cream and nostalgia - Family Circus cartoonist Bil Keane used to hang out there.

Further out East than Scottsdale, there's the Queen Creek Olive Mill. They usually have special entertainment starting in February; more info on their website here: https://www.queencreekolivemill.com/...queen-creek-az

I hope you have a great trip!

I wish I could help with hotels, but we stay with the ILs (they live in the WAY East Valley) so I haven't given hotels a thought since their house was built.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

BDKmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I recommend stargazing in Sedona. My sister and I did this: https://www.eveningskytours.com. Very cool if you like this kind of thing.
    DS - Feb 2010
    DD - May 2012

Quote Originally Posted by BDKmom View Post
    I recommend stargazing in Sedona. My sister and I did this: https://www.eveningskytours.com. Very cool if you like this kind of thing.
    That looks amazing! Too bad it is sold out for our dates - the only 2 sold out all month!

DD1 MiniMoo 11/10
    DD2 MiniMoo2 9/13

“I have certain rules I live by. My first rule I don't believe anything the government tells me. and I don't take very seriously the media, or the press, in this country." - George Carlin

marymoo thanks so much for sharing your itinerary! I didn't realize Antelope Canyon was so far We have 5 days there, so I think I'm going to copy your itinerary! A little worried that the Grand Canyon may be too cold, but looks like it's do-able for a day trip.

Globetrotter I'm not vegetarian but these looks like great restaurant recs!

lizzy so helpful thank you!

BDKmom stargazing looks amazing, will book it!

Thank you all - this was very helpful! I'm booking our hotels and tours this morning - excited to do a vacation that's a little out of our normal "beach or city" vacations!
    DD Summer 2008
    DS Summer 2010

I forgot to add that we really like Elote Cafe in Sedona. Southwestern food, really some of the best I have ever had. And great margaritas, if you like those! Go early if you can, there is usually a wait, but so worth it!
    DS - Feb 2010
    DD - May 2012

Also, marymoo and alootikki, come back to this thread and post if you find anything super fun to do that hasn’t been mentioned. We are taking the kids on their first trip to that area this summer!
    DS - Feb 2010
    DD - May 2012

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast