bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default My 12yo has back pain

What would you do? DS2 has been complaining of a sore back and neck. DH says he had that kind of pain as a kid. He’s very skinny and complains of “noodle arms” (Skinny and weak) but at the same time he’s a good runner and hiker. Does he need exercise? A good chiropractor? Physical therapy? He plays violin and loves it. Maybe there are experts that deal with that kind of movement?

My thinking is, I can treat the pain. Or I can figure out where he is weak or moving improperly and fix that. I feel like pain at age 12 is strange. WWYD?

gatorsmom is online now Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    What would you do? DS2 has been complaining of a sore back and neck. DH says he had that kind of pain as a kid. He’s very skinny and complains of “noodle arms” (Skinny and weak) but at the same time he’s a good runner and hiker. Does he need exercise? A good chiropractor? Physical therapy? He plays violin and loves it. Maybe there are experts that deal with that kind of movement?

My thinking is, I can treat the pain. Or I can figure out where he is weak or moving improperly and fix that. I feel like pain at age 12 is strange. WWYD?
    How long has he been complaining of this pain? Upper or lower back? What kind of pain is it? Is there any activity that he does a lot of? Has he been practicing his violin a lot? Could that be the cause of the pain? Did he start up hiking again? Maybe pulled something? The Holidays bring lots of breaks in routines and travel. Did he sleep overnight somewhere other than his bed? He could be sore from that. Did he start a new activity at school? A new project? Sometimes my DD gets a backache and she gets a pain up in her shoulder when she is constipated. Could constipation be the problem?

Does your doctor have a nurse-line you could call? Maybe you could run it by a nurse to find out if your DS needs to be seen.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

That’s a good list of questions! It’s upper back/shoulder area. He sleeps VERY deeply. Could be his pillow. It’s been going on for a while and seems to be exacerbated by playing violin. He’s struggled with constipation for YEARS. Did Miralax for at least 2 years and no longer shares his struggles with me regarding that but he’s notorious for holding up the bathroom for a very long time!

Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

You mention it seems exacerbated by the violin playing....I'd start with that as a likely cause. First stop would be to talk with the violin teacher and make sure his technique and posture is perfectly correct....if you're doing something frequently and repetitively, even a minor thing can turn into an issue. I'd also ask the violin teacher specifically about stretches or strength exercises he could do. My friend teaches violin, and she talks about how a lot of her time with new players is spent simply helping them build the muscles they need for violin in the right way -- so maybe he needs more of that? (I don't play violin so just guessing!)

Since childhood, I have liked to sleep with one arm tucked under my pillow and head....but if I do it for too long, I start to have back and neck pain. It probably started to be an issue for me around the teen years -- and always goes away when I make an effort to sleep in a different position (then I always end up going back and the cycle continues! lol). So considering his sleep position could help -- especially if he sleeps deeply and may not be noticing pain/discomfort cues in the middle of the night.

I would also look up some basic neck and back stretches and exercises online and work with him on doing them consistently for a couple weeks (ideally a few times a day).

If pain continues and none of those suggestions help, I'd schedule a doctor visit to go over anything else, but I'd probably start with those things.
    Lizi

squimp is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

It can happen. DD had back pain at age 12, and we took her to PT for a sports-related issue. Turns out her serve was the problem, one of her coaches was explaining something in a way that caused her to bend her back in a bad way. We found a good sports PT that works with local HS students, and after 4-6 sessions she had it fixed - along with a big list of stretches and core strengthening ideas that have stayed with her. She has gone back a couple of times with other injuries for touch ups or tweaking, it is largely covered by insurance. It has been super helpful and I would never have thought of it - when I was a kid you just dealt with stuff LOL.

Start with the violin instructor. Is his technique ok? Then, See the pediatrician to get a PT referral. Some insurance doesn’t require a referral-check yours. I see a PT and DD, age 14, is seizing one for headache caused by neck strain.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

I like the idea of starting with the violin teacher. I know his teacher has had some long term damage from an inappropriate stance so she might have some good referrals for DS2. I do get the impression that either moving differently or working on some kind of strength or posture might be the key here. We do have some good PT available through our health insurance (Kaiser) but if they don't handle the violin angle, it may even be worth it to pay OOP. Hopefully we won't have to!

Thanks for chiming in!

klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I agree that checking with the violin instructor is a good first step. But, I think SOME pain at 12 is kind of common. I had horrible back pain around that age because of my growth. Once I quit growing, the back pain stopped.
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Are you friends with any physical therapists? They are really good at understanding the human body and could examine your DS and then offer their opinion if the problem was skeletal, muscular, overuse, poor positioning, etc. I personally would start there and get an opinion to later pursue further medical evaluation and various treatment options depending on diagnosis.
    K

niccig is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

We had to get DS a backpack with better straps, support etc for back and neck pain.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains