Default US Open - Anyone been recently? Tips?

Mom and daughter long weekend to NYC for Labor Day (almost 10yo) and top of the list is the US Open. She is a tennis fanatic (my poor wallet)!

Looks like based on timing we may be able to do a Groundspass for either Sat or Sunday so she can get the most bang for her buck tennis-wise. The weeks that it falls this year, Rounds 2 or 3 should be happening when we are there.

Any tips? Suggestions? I know she would die to see Coco Gauff up close or Madison Keys is her other US fave. I plan to get one of those bigger tennis balls in hopes of a few signatures.

Likely will do just one day of tennis and then move to Midtown and catch a play - Wicked? She would love to see HP but 2 parts and 5 hours isn't likely going to happen.

Would you do city/sightseeing/play first, then tennis or start with tennis then the other? Will fly into either JFK or LGA

DD1 MiniMoo 11/10
    DD2 MiniMoo2 9/13

“I have certain rules I live by. My first rule I don't believe anything the government tells me. and I don't take very seriously the media, or the press, in this country." - George Carlin

almostmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We go to the US Open every Labor Day, sometimes Friday and Saturday, sometimes just Saturday. It's so super fun! And a great bang for your buck, as you can be there all day. Since this is a one-time thing for you, I'd recommend trying to get a ticket to Ashe. With that ticket, you can go to the day Ashe matches as well as any of the grounds ones. If Ashe aren't available though, grounds is fine. We don't always get Ashe, as we usually prefer to be closer up to the players on the side courts, but you might miss some great players if you do that. When we do have Ashe tickets, we usually go in for at least some of one match to see a big name. Just be aware, you might not see your favorites, especially if you only go one day (they all play every other day). Many play on Ashe (though we've seen so many amazing matches and players on the side courts!), and if they are slated for a night match at Ashe, you are out of luck either way.
    We usually arrive a little before 11, when the gates open. We usually drive and park there (very easy to do), but there's lots of other options. We scout out what matches we'll want to see (spend $5 on the program), knowing our plans might change depending on how matches go, and we head to a court. It's so fun. The food is good, and we often stay until 8pm, or sometimes later, as side court matches can go late, even after the night matches have started on Ashe (and now on Armstrong where they have started having a night-time ticket). A couple of tips - if you have an Amercian Express card, bring it! There are free ear-pieces that you can get, and it's a great way to listen to the match commentary from the big matches, even if you're not at them (or if you are). Also, sunscreen, a water bottle, a hat.

So. Darn. Fun.
    Liz

DS 11/03
    DD 12/05