Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default Update-Need your opinion about this...

Update—This was such an odd post that I thought I’d give you an update. I was planning on letting DH talk to the water “guy” yesterday but he didn’t get home in time so I spoke with him. He came in a van marked with local authority wording and his ID seemed official to me. He was very nice guy and said everyone in the area asks the same questions, “why do you need a tour of my house.” In a nutshell, he was there to install a new water meter (not a smart meter either. Cost analyses were done and the traditional way of monitoring water usage is cheaper now). But also, the guy needed to check to make sure that the toilets, sinks, tubs and showers didn’t allow backflow of used water (Grey water?) into the clean water. Refrigerators, washing machines and dishwashers all have built in mechanisms to prevent this but faucets do not. I’m not sure why this wasn’t explained to my husband on the phone. But it all seem to check out so everything’s good. Thanks for all your thoughts and suggestions!

————————————————————————————-

Our family had received 2 letters recently telling us that we need to replace our water meter. The letters say if we don’t schedule a time for this to be done, our water will be turned off. DH called the city (I haven’t seen the letters, he was telling me this.) and spoke to a woman there who scheduled an appointment to have our water meter replaced. She then told DH that the people who come will also want to go around our house and count the sinks and toilet connections. She didn’t say they would ask to see shower or washing machine connections or anything else. They want to see every sink and toilet connection. To be clear, the letter doesn’t say that, the woman on the phone told him that.

We built this house 7 years ago. At the time, we pulled all the permits necessary and had it inspected. This just feels off to us. Dh said he thinks this is their way of gaining access to do a tax assessment. I’m happy to have the meter changed if there is something wrong with it but I’m uncomfortable with strangers touring our house. Wouldn’t they need some document saying they have a right to do this? Some order or warrant? I don’t know, I just don’t like it.

To be clear, I have no problem changing out the meter. But why do they need to see all our sinks and toilets? That’s where I have a problem.
    Thoughts?
    Last edited by gatorsmom; 01-28-2020 at 02:42 PM.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Can you ask your neighbors what they are doing? That sucks that you have a relatively new house and they want you to replace the water meter! I wouldn't feel comfortable about it either and would only let them do that if it was absolutely mandated by local gov't.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

In our area, all of the water meters have been recently replaced by the city by some computerized meters, “smart meters.” However the city/water department sent out letters in advance to let residents know of the changes. I would make a couple more call to the city before making any decisions about denying access.
    K

Here taxes are automatically assessed on a 4 year schedule. Just got our letter. I don't understand what connections have to do with the meter? Does water flow through in one direction?? Ours comes in from the city to our tank.

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Need your opinion about this...

Quote Originally Posted by KpbS View Post
    In our area, all of the water meters have been recently replaced by the city by some computerized meters, “smart meters.” However the city/water department sent out letters in advance to let residents know of the changes. I would make a couple more call to the city before making any decisions about denying access.
    This is apparently happening many places — the general rationale is that the old-style meters must be read manually by a utility worker walking door to door, trying to locate the meter, etc etc. The smart meters can be "read" remotely. Our local water utility has mostly finished swapping out the meters and now offers an online portal that lets customers track their water usage on a daily basis

The only reason I can imagine that they need info about how many sinks, toilets, etc is if they have different sizes of meters and need to choose the appropriate one depending on usage. Presumably they could either just ask, or could check with the property tax office that should know how many bathrooms etc a house has.

I agree that another call to the appropriate city department should yield more info. If it’s like the meter swap project here, participation is probably not optional. But hopefully you can get some reassuring details.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains
    Last edited by NCGrandma; 01-26-2020 at 12:01 AM.

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I admit that I'm a bit anti-social, but I would have a big problem with strangers being in my house. I would call and ask: the time someone would show, and the name of the person, and what kind of company ID/Vehicle they would be in.

With that you've said, it set off my mental alert that something's funky. Have you asked your neighbors if they are getting theirs replaced, too? Have you called your water company ---with the number from your BILL, not these letters --- to see if it's legit? My first thought is that it could be someone casing your house or neighborhood, but I know I'm paranoid.

Mommy_Mea is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

As others have mentioned, this is likely a change out to a smart meter. One of the benefits of a smart meter is an ability to monitor in more "real time" for higher water usage that could indicate a leak in the house. Maybe they want to know the number of connections that would most likely contribute to a leak?

I would look up your water supplier, it might be a department within your city government, but it might be a completely independent entity. The website should have information about the change out and about this sink/toilet inspection. Call the phone number listed there and ask why this is necessary.
    DS1 June 2009
    DS2 June 2011

Are you in New England? We just got our third notice to schedule for the same thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by gymnbomb View Post
    Are you in New England? We just got our third notice to schedule for the same thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    No we are in Wisconsin. To be clear, I have no problem changing out the meter. I don’t understand why they need to see all our toilets and sinks. Why is that necessary?
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by gatorsmom View Post
    No we are in Wisconsin. To be clear, I have no problem changing out the meter. I don’t understand why they need to see all our toilets and sinks. Why is that necessary?
    Hopefully your city's water department or separate water utility can answer that question. And then you can report back, since we're all wondering too!!

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast