Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hemnes or Malm?

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Hemnes or Malm?

We’re “Kondo-ing” the boys clothes closets and need to buy a new dresser. Of the two main IKEA lines that fit the space which do you prefer? Malm? Or Hemnes? The style in the space is eccletic and either will look good.

I’ve been looking for a good used dresser but I’m not seeing anything better than these two new options from IKEA. Thanks in advance!!

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I've had my white Hemnes dresser for over 12 years now and it still look brand new. Zero issues.

Sent from my SM-A600P using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

I like the look of Hemnes better. We used one for years, and then it became the girls' changing table, it was the perfect height.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

Same as essence...we have a white Hemnes dresser in my daughter’s closet and a black one in my son’s and both look and function great 10 yrs later.

Mommy_Mea is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Also vote Hemnes, I much prefer the look. We had one for DS1 that we used as his changing table and eventually have away a few years ago. It had been through 4 moves, so was a little wobbly.

DS2's is eight years old, was used as his changing table, now general clothes storage and is going strong.

We had the red for DS1 (which I loved, such a great color), and the black for DS2.
    DS1 June 2009
    DS2 June 2011

We like Hemnes too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Hemnes.
    We have 2 and they’re in decent shape but both kids have tried to shove too much in and the bottoms of the drawers have popped out. Fixable but never back to like new condition. But, still good especially for the price.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Mikey0709 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Just tried had to make this decision also, and ended up with Brimnes for my son! HA! We too were shopping 2nd hand for a few weeks and couldn't find anything decent, even Ikea used was $$$!
    Brimnes was on sale last week, and we determined how much MORE clothes it held than the others. Drawers were ALOT larger and deeper. We also liked that it was a true black, not black-brown. At first we weren't sold on the glass on the top drawer, but saw it in person set up in a room and it was VERY cool for a teen boy. Liked it so much we bought a 2nd piece of Brimnes, and when we went back the 4 drawer was out of stock due to the sale so we ended up with a 3 drawer for $99. Bummed IKEA doesn't give rainchecks!

We also ended up with a 4 drawer Malm we found in scratch and dent for 40% off for another sibling. Still in the box, but one TINY little tear in the box which exposed the product and made a tiny mark on it. Once set up, damage was completely unnoticeable! I like it, but clothes space is REALLY lacking compared to the Brimnes large drawers.

Just be forewarned - those boxes were HEAVY! I moved them all myself, up to a 2nd floor, and BOY was that tough! After doing that - i seriously don't want to purchase 2nd hand Ikea already assembled.... it weighs a TON! I can't imagine how difficult it is to move/transport ikea already assembled.
    Last edited by Mikey0709; 01-27-2020 at 11:17 AM.

urquie is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I think the Hemnes are better quality. We have both and the Malm drawer bottoms start to fall out after a while and ours have needed a few repairs.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Thank you for weighing in! I will check out the Brimnes since drawer capacity is very important! But otherwise it looks like Hemnes is the overwhelming winner!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast