Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    basil is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Good books for long flights?

Looking for something light and not tragic. I don’t love reading about sad or scary things. Hopefully not too new or popular that I can get the Kindle version from the library without having to wait. Thanks!!
    DS- 8/11
    DD- 5/14

Mommy_Mea is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I enjoyed the flatshare that someone recommended here. Also pachinko. Currently reading the island of Sea Women, which is good so far.

If you want light and fluffy, the unhoneymooners was cute.
    DS1 June 2009
    DS2 June 2011

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Mommy_Mea View Post
    I enjoyed the flatshare that someone recommended here. Also pachinko. Currently reading the island of Sea Women, which is good so far.
    ly
    If you want light and fluffy, the unhoneymooners was cute.

I was about to recommend the Flatshare by Beth O'leary, just read it again for the second time. Absolutely love this book! It is light-hearted but still totally heartfelt and funny and sweet.

Philly Mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I love Pachinko. Beneath a Scarlett Sky is wonderful and engaging. So is Hum if you don’t know the words.

For truly light, I liked To all the boys I’ve loved before trilogy and the Crazy Rich Asians trilogy.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I just read The Flatshare and loved it, too -- but it's pretty new and popular, so it wouldn't surprise me if you can't get it right away at the library.

Digging through my old GoodReads books for some of the light, quicker reads that I enjoyed....
    *Sourdough by Robin Sloan
    *My (not so) Perfect Life by Sophie Kinsella
    *Eligible by Curtis Sittenfeld
    *The Windfall by Diksha Basu
    *Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman (not entirely light, but it's written in a light way despite the tougher parts)
    *Where'd You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple
    *Boys in the Boat by Daniel James Brown (this is non-fiction, but excellently written, very interesting, and engaging to read)
    *A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman
    Lizi

Following as I have a couple of long flights coming up in March. Just downloaded The Flatshare.

I second the recommendations above for Where'd You Go Bernadette and the Crazy Rich Asians trilogy which I'm just finishing up re-reading.
    I also like Sophie Kinsella, Mary Kay Andrews, and Emily Giffin for light reads.
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

Globetrotter is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

The Rosie Project trilogy
    "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What? You, too? I thought I was the only one." C.S. Lewis

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Philly Mom View Post

For truly light, I liked To all the boys I’ve loved before trilogy ...
    Me, too.

I tend to lean heavily on YA/Teen marketed books like these when I don't want to feel bogged down with language. While you do have to choose carefully, there are a lot of great authors out there writing in this style.

I recommend The Vine Witch, which is the first in a series in a historical fantasy kind of world that resembles early 20th-century France. The next book is due out later this year, but I'm not 100% how readily available Vine Witch is from the library; I got it as part of Amazon FirstReads.

I also like romance novels by Eloisa James. Her Essex Sisters series (first one is Much Ado About You) and Wildes of Lindow Castle series (first one is Wilde in Love) are the ones I read, but she's got a lot to choose from, including some retold fairy tales which I have yet to read.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

ged is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng. Just finished it and thought it was quite good. Not super light, but also not tragic.

Some recent ones I have enjoyed:

The Guardians - John Grisham
    Where the Crawdads Sing - Delia Owens
    anything by Dorothea Benton Frank or Janet Evanovich
    SAHM to Pete and Repeat my "Irish Twins" - DD 12/06 and DS 11/07

Never argue with an idiot. He'll bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast