Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I got them 3 years ago and HATED it. I felt like there was a very tiny point in my glasses that I could see clearly and I would keep flipping my glasses off of my head to read. So, the next year, I told my eye doctor, nope I hate these. He had originally told me it would take about a month to get used to them, I felt like I was looking out of a fishbowl many times and reverted back to wearing my old glasses. So, last year I went with a single vision lense, which I LOVED for it's clarity, BUUUT I now have a furrow in on my forehead from squinting to read. I think that my near vision got a lot worse, so while I was able to compensate that first year, I couldn't do it. So, a few months ago when I got new glasses I got the progressives again and IDK what it is, maybe I got a bad pair or the processed is improved, I have had zero issues and I can read and see far vision fine too. I am kicking myself, bc I think that I gave myself that damn furrow and I should have pushed more about maybe something not being right with the original pair of progressive lenses. My husband got progressives for the first time and has loved them from the minute he got them. One of my friends struggled like I did and we both think that maybe the progressive part was too night up in the lense and that was why it was affecting the rest of our vision so much too.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

I have contacts and work perfectly and took no time to adjust. They are amazing. Glasses only wear at night or if resting eyes and they are awesome too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by HannaAddict View Post
    I have contacts and work perfectly and took no time to adjust. They are amazing. Glasses only wear at night or if resting eyes and they are awesome too.

HannaAddict - do you have progressive contacts? I wear my contacts at least 95% of the time. I hate wearing glasses. Reading small writing is getting harder and harder and I need to give it up and get readers. I would love to have progressive contacts but worry how I'd adjust. Do you have dailies? I'm intrigued!
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I do and I HATE HATE HATE them. I got them at the best research optometry hospital, paid quadruple to get the best lenses, repeat fittings etc. I can't see for cr@p long-distance, the worst vision since before I got glasses. I'm almost 47 so I guess there's no going back to single prescription lenses.

for Sandy Hook

robinsmommy is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by dogmom View Post
    That sounds like a bad prescription to me. I never had problems like that. But I don’t know if you were wearing glasses to start with.

I agree you need to go to someone who knows what they are doing. I luckily have vision coverage so it brings down the cost. I get me regular progressives at a small mom and pop place that is excellent and buy my sunglasses through Zenni.
    I dunno. I think things have improved a little bit as time goes by. I find I have to keep them extra clean, too.

Part of it is that we have meh vision coverage, so I get glasses only every two years - so after discussion with my new eye doc, I opted to go ahead and get the Progressives slightly on the early side - that and the fact that I am pretty nearsighted - like -5 or more in one eye, almost as bad in the other - I think also hurts me.

Said eye doc won't be used again, regardless - what woke male doc grabs your knee multiple times and leans into your space for conversation when you are cornered in an eye exam chair? ugh! DH didn't get the same treatment from him, either.

I'll give it a little longer and see if I can live with them.

jgenie is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by robinsmommy View Post

Said eye doc won't be used again, regardless - what woke male doc grabs your knee multiple times and leans into your space for conversation when you are cornered in an eye exam chair? ugh! DH didn't get the same treatment from him, either.
    I had an eye dr do this to me too. It was so annoying I never went back!

Quote Originally Posted by carolinamama View Post
    HannaAddict - do you have progressive contacts? I wear my contacts at least 95% of the time. I hate wearing glasses. Reading small writing is getting harder and harder and I need to give it up and get readers. I would love to have progressive contacts but worry how I'd adjust. Do you have dailies? I'm intrigued!
    Yes. Progressive contacts. They work great. There are a few different manufacturers and have different ways of correcting the same thing so make sure your eye doctor is up on it and you can try them. I wear mine for a month though I think they are the same lens rated for daily. I became near sighted in my teens and my Rx stayed stable for decades. Then dipped a bit post pregnancies and two years ago started needing a bit of correction for reading small print. I love them!

I've had them for about two years and am overall happy with them. Took me maybe a week or two to get fully used to them. The hardest part was going down stairs for the first little while. My reading prescription is only +1, but I constantly go between reading/computer work/distance throughout the day, so reading glasses would have been a big pain. Plus my optometrist said it's easier to get used to progressives if you start when your reading vision hasn't deteriorated too much, so I decided to take the plunge earlier rather than later. I think getting progressives from your optometrist is probably a good idea, as opposed to an eyewear chain.

OP, can you see if your optometrist has a money-back guarantee in case the progressives don't work out for you? That was what gave me some peace of mind when I got mine – having the option to get a refund and get something else if I ended up having a hard time with the new pair of glasses.

ellies mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default glasses question: do you have progressives?

Quote Originally Posted by HannaAddict View Post
    Yes. Progressive contacts. They work great. There are a few different manufacturers and have different ways of correcting the same thing so make sure your eye doctor is up on it and you can try them.

This! The technology is in theory the same but what the manufacturer does with that technology varies and it makes a huge difference. I originally used some brand I don’t remember the name of and they were useless. I might as well have been wearing regular contacts. I still had to use readers. It was ridiculous. I recently switched to the Bioinfinity Multifocals. I am so thrilled. No more readers. My distance vision could be better but my near vision is so much better that I don’t care. Mine are monthlies as well.

As for progressive eyeglasses, with my first pair, the weirdness on the sides went away quickly but I couldn’t adjust to holding my head the “right” way for reading. My new pair are much better. I think it is because they upped the magnification of the lower lenses so it comes up higher on the lens. I can read how I want to read now. I still tend to take them off when I’m at home doing near work because my near vision is still excellent when I’m not looking through distance correction.

Last edited by ellies mom; 02-12-2020 at 11:13 PM.
    Veronica

Miss Ellie 11/03
    Baby Audrey 4/08

ahisma is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My 11 year old has them and loves them. They are the first pair of glasses that he has happily worn. They've been a huge game changer for him.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3