AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Long shot....is anyone cloth diapering?

It has been almost 7 years since DD2 potty trained and I gave away all of my cloth diapers.

My sister in law is due with her first in June and she has put some cloth diapering basics on her registry: Alva brand covers, snappi snaps, and nothing else. I was thinking of getting a couple dozen 7-17 lb Indian unbleached pre folds from Nicki’s Diapers (the brand I used with Dd2,), or a few covers or a few sets of Flip diaper covers and their organic prefolds which were my favorite (because those are essentially interchangeable for size so she won’t be out a bunch of prefolds if the baby grows fast....my brother was 11 lbs at birth and 20 lbs by 6 months....he is 6’3” and she is 5’4” so a big difference, but you never know). I don’t want to inundate her with Diaper Swappers (if that site is still around) because that site can be utterly maddening and budget busting for a new mom imho so I am wondering if anyone here has any resources.

FWIW they live in SE Portland, Oregon (very close like a mile from Milwaukie) so if anyone has any local resources or know if they have hard or soft water let me know (I didn’t have good luck with Charlie’s Soap cause I have hard water so I wouldn’t want to buy them Charlie’s soap if it isn’t going to work). I used Bac Out and regular dye free detergent (but I honestly can’t remember which one worked okay on the BG all in ones).

Thanks so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I started out with Charlie's Soap powder, but switched to Rockin' Green because it had an ammonia buster additive ("Funk Rock") that rinsed really clean in my front-loader. They have two formulations - one for most water types and one specifically for hard water.

I had several dozen unbleached prefolds from Green Mountain diapers (started when DD was about 9 months old with red-edge, then moved to brown edge) then I added fitteds, several AIO's (Blueberry Simplex), and hemp-fleece doublers.

I also used wool covers - we used cloth at night, so I had two Disana brand pull-ons and two wrap covers (have forgotten the brand) - which I cared for using Eucalan wool wash (it's basically a mild detergent plus lanolin.)
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Default Long shot....is anyone cloth diapering?

Quote Originally Posted by lizzywednesday View Post
    I started out with Charlie's Soap powder, but switched to Rockin' Green because it had an ammonia buster additive ("Funk Rock") that rinsed really clean in my front-loader. They have two formulations - one for most water types and one specifically for hard water.

I had several dozen unbleached prefolds from Green Mountain diapers (started when DD was about 9 months old with red-edge, then moved to brown edge) then I added fitteds, several AIO's (Blueberry Simplex), and hemp-fleece doublers.

I also used wool covers - we used cloth at night, so I had two Disana brand pull-ons and two wrap covers (have forgotten the brand) - which I cared for using Eucalan wool wash (it's basically a mild detergent plus lanolin.)
    Thanks! I remember you talking about that but I never tried it.

I was not adventurous enough to do wool. If it couldn’t go in the dryer I didn’t use it (although DH was good about pulling the covers out he wouldn’t have done so with wool covers I was able to use my clothesline but if there was any chance dh was helping with laundry everything non plastic had to be dryer safe!)

I had diaper service when Dd2 was a newborn but she developed a really bad diaper rash so I quit for about 15 months and then one day on a whim tried the FuzziBunz I had for when Dd1 was still not night trained (at age 3-4) and tried them on Dd2 who was 15 months old and they worked so we cloth diapered her until she was potty trained at a week after she turned 3.

I bought a bunch BumGenius pocket diapers used off of diaper swappers, discontinued BG AIOs off Cotton Babies, about 10 new flip or BG (I think) plastic backed covers, a dozen flip organics, and 2 or 3 dozen or so Indian prefolds. I used BG Pockets with a microfiber insert and a prefold at night or a Fuzzi Bunz with two inserts or a prefold at night.

I hated washing the microfiber inserts, but they did work well.

Last edited by AnnieW625; 02-06-2020 at 07:14 PM.
    Annie
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieW625 View Post
    Thanks! I remember you talking about that but I never tried it.
    I seriously would buy it again to do regular laundry, I liked it that much.

They've reformulated and have also added a detergent for workout clothing/synthetics that I want to try, but won't until I manage to get another job.

I was not adventurous enough to do wool. If it couldn’t go in the dryer I didn’t use it (although DH was good about pulling the covers out he wouldn’t have done so with wool covers I was able to use my clothesline but if there was any chance dh was helping with laundry everything non plastic had to be dryer safe!)
    I used to do diaper laundry when my mom visited and washed the wool by hand. DH refused to touch diaper laundry.

I had diaper service when Dd2 was a newborn but she developed a really bad diaper rash so I quit for about 15 months and then one day on a whim tried the FuzziBunz I had for when Dd1 was still not night trained (at age 3-4) and tried them on Dd2 who was 15 months old and they worked so we cloth diapered her until she was potty trained at a week after she turned 3.
    I wanted to give my friend a couple of months' diaper service, but I couldn't find any near us! My mom had used one with my younger siblings, which helped her manage three under 5 in cloth diapers in the 80s.

I bought a bunch BumGenius pocket diapers used off of diaper swappers, discontinued BG AIOs off Cotton Babies, about 10 new flip or BG (I think) plastic backed covers, a dozen flip organics, and 2 or 3 dozen or so Indian prefolds. I used BG Pockets with a microfiber insert and a prefold at night or a Fuzzi Bunz with two inserts or a prefold at night.

I hated washing the microfiber inserts, but they did work well.
    My mother bought me my initial stash, then I added to it as I figured out what worked best for us. I really needed the doublers and the "Funk Rock" ammonia bouncer stuff after she turned 1!

I also had "flushable" liners (ImseVimse, I think?) to help with poo cleanup once DD went to solid foods. These were awesome.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

I'm pretty sure I still have some wool; I know I have a GBD skirtie. I'll look to see what else I have if you're interested. It's probably all girlie.

smilequeen is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My cousin is with 2 under 2. I bought her a bunch at her first shower. 9 years ago I used Grovia Hybrids. Never did anything special wrt cleaning though. She uses the Grovia One and a few others. When she told me, I really regretted getting rid of mine.
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

Thanks all! I ended up deciding to do a gift card for $100 to Green Mountain Diapers and included two Thirsties size one covers. That should be a good start....they have some nice starter kits. I went with Green Mountain because they are a wealth of information and they will need that otherwise my SIL will give up because without good resources she gets frustrated and will give up. I even sent myself a washing instruction book with my order to include in their gift because they will need at least one or two (because one will probably get lost!).

Annie
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,