Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Opinions on Oscars?

Are you pleased with the people and movies that won? Are there certain best pic nominees that you would really recommend? I've only seen Little Women and A Marriage Story (that one was great!), and hope to watch Parasite with DH this week.

I only got to watch the last hour, but really liked Joaquin Phoenix' speech.

What did you think?

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Parasite was a great movie and I'm so glad it won so many awards!

Sent from my SM-A600P using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

gatorsmom is online now Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I didn’t see the Oscars and haven’t seen Joker but I’m really glad that Joaquin Phoenix won best actor. I think he was cheated out of best actor for Walk the Line, his portrayal of Johnny Cash. This seems like a little bit of catching up.

And I have to say I’m super curious to see Parasite. The trailer was intriguing and after winning so many awards there must be something there.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Tenasparkl is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I actually saw all of the best picture nominees this year (hooray for screeners!) I really thought that it would be 1917 but I’m happy it was Parasite. I really enjoyed both - 1917 is gorgeous and moving and Parasite is just so creative and powerful. I LOVED Little Women, enjoyed Marriage Story more than I expected, was so impressed with JoJo Rabbit, fell asleep during Ford v Ferrari but will watch the end eventually, thought Once Upon... was a lot of fun, powered through The Irishman because I love Scorsese and absolutely HATED Joker. As much as I hated Joker, I thought Joaquin gave a great performance & I’m happy that he won. I was a bit surprised that Toy Story 4 won. I liked it but it wasn’t the best animated film this year and wasn’t even the best of the Toy Story movies. I loved getting to see Eminem perform - what a fun surprise!

Watched Parasite yesterday before the Oscar win and it was amazing! Glad it won! So beautifully filmed/directed and just such a different movie! Still have to see Joker -- looking forward to that, especially with the mental health/trauma themes. Joaquin's win seems well-deserved just from the previews. I thought Once upon a time in Hollywood was okay - glad for Brad. Marriage story was good -- but I feel like Laura Dern basically played the same character she does in Big Little Lies. I don't know if it was Oscar-worthy but I like her.
    DD1 - 1996
    DD2 - 1999
    DD3 - 2005

Surfaces are for working, not for storing. - Peter Walsh

Globetrotter is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Tenasparkl View Post
    I actually saw all of the best picture nominees this year (hooray for screeners!) I really thought that it would be 1917 but I’m happy it was Parasite. I really enjoyed both - 1917 is gorgeous and moving and Parasite is just so creative and powerful. I LOVED Little Women, enjoyed Marriage Story more than I expected, was so impressed with JoJo Rabbit, fell asleep during Ford v Ferrari but will watch the end eventually, thought Once Upon... was a lot of fun, powered through The Irishman because I love Scorsese and absolutely HATED Joker. As much as I hated Joker, I thought Joaquin gave a great performance & I’m happy that he won. I was a bit surprised that Toy Story 4 won. I liked it but it wasn’t the best animated film this year and wasn’t even the best of the Toy Story movies. I loved getting to see Eminem perform - what a fun surprise!
    Wow!What are screeners? Our local theater had many of the movies for a flat rate, but I only got around to seeing Jojo rabbit in the theater. Loved it! I also saw little women, marriage story, and two Popes. All excellent, IMO. I’m excited to see some of the others, especially Parasite, but probably i will end up watching it online. Seems like 1917 would be a good one to watch in the theater, but I’m not sure I’ll get around to it.
    "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What? You, too? I thought I was the only one." C.S. Lewis

Tenasparkl is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Globetrotter View Post
    Wow!What are screeners?
    Screeners are sent out people that work in the entertainment industry that vote on awards - directors guild, producers guild, writers, makeup artists, Hollywood Foreign Press, critics groups, the academy etc. It’s pretty fun when they start showing up in the mail!

Globetrotter is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Tenasparkl View Post
    Screeners are sent out people that work in the entertainment industry that vote on awards - directors guild, producers guild, writers, makeup artists, Hollywood Foreign Press, critics groups, the academy etc. It’s pretty fun when they start showing up in the mail!
    Very cool!!
    "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What? You, too? I thought I was the only one." C.S. Lewis

MMMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I had seen Parasite, Little Women, and Knives Out (screenplay nominee, not Best Picture nominee). I liked Parasite and found it to be very interesting, unique and intense. I wouldn't say that I loved Parasite, but I strongly liked it. I had also seen Snowpiercer, an earlier film of Bong Joon Ho, which is also very different and interesting. Running themes of class disparity in both. I'm happy that Parasite won for Best Picture (and for Best Director). I really enjoyed Little Women and Knives Out.
    Mommy to Two DDs
    Member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society

(Why? Because the banana smilie is just so funny)

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I adored Little Women and Once Upon a Time...in Hollywood. Would highly recommend either. Let me just say that the scene in which 56 yr old Brad Pitt takes his short off in Once Upon a Time... is 100% worth the price of admission but it's a terrific movie regardless!

I also saw Joker (great performance but wouldn't recommend unless you're a Batman fan), Judy (also a great performance, very sad, movie was OK on the whole), The Farewell (Awkwafina got the Golden Globe for it, loved it, Chinese subtitles for much of it but a beautiful family portrait). Parasite, the Irishman and JoJo Rabbit are on my list to see.
    Last edited by citymama; 02-11-2020 at 05:59 PM.

for Sandy Hook

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast