hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Default help for clothes for hawaii

I am going to Hawaii for a work trip. New job. I am about 15# heavier than I've been (work stress) and I need to look good / casual / polished in a cool way (I know a lot to ask for). I am a size 12. 5'10" I am an exec and people will be looking at me as I am new. Most people going are men and spouses are also going. HELP ME DRESS please. I have never been to Hawaii.
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

My husband is in medical sales and HI is part of his territory. We live in Orange County, CA. In CA he would wear dress slacks and a dress shirt to call on doctors, but in HI he wears only hawaiian shirts and khakis. Not the cheap Hawaii shirts but Tori Richard type. Doctors would be wary of someone calling on them in wool dress slacks and a dress shirt.

My husband says his female manager wears hawaiian print dresses when she is there for business. Tommy Bahama would be a great place to shop for clothes. It is always around 80 degrees and can be humid. I always bring a light cardigan when I go but never end up needing it. The last business trip I went with him on we stayed at the Four Seasons on the Big Island. It was a work conference and the women there were all in nice sun dresses at the evening events I attended with him.

Hope that helps!

Meredith

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Do you have time to goto Nordstrom? Call ahead and use the free personal shopping service. The shopper should identify sundresses, outdoors clothes and whatever other category you need.

You can’t go wrong with something easy, like Ann Taylor.

What activities and events are planned?

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

erosenst is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Agree totally on Nordstrom personal shopper. Also with Tommy Bahama dresses. Lilly Pulitzer. J.McLaughlin (Dillard's has a large selection - order and return).

High level - I'd opt for dresses with a 'resort casual' vibe, even if they're all pretty similar - it's like MM LaFleur for a more casual location. With simple jewelry and sandals you should fit right in. I'm pretty sure you're in a relatively conservative industry - if so I'd err toward having sleeves this trip and evaluate for future.

I looked quickly - I like this because it fits the vibe and isn't floral -

https://www.dillards.com/p/j.mclaugh...ress/510360322

This is a little more tailored than some but still island/floral -

https://shop.nordstrom.com/s/lilly-p...20blue%20dream

If you just can't do florals/prints

https://www.dillards.com/p/tahari-as...ress/510319861

Good luck and have fun!

lil_acorn is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I’d also suggest Mahi Gold
    https://www.mahigold.com/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

firstbaby is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I’m agreeing with the Tommy Bahama recommendations - they have some great pieces. How soon are you going? If you have a couple of weeks, you could also find a Cabi stylist in your area. They are direct sales so you would have to order instead of shop off the rack, but the stylist will have the whole line for you to see and try on and so many pieces mix and match - they could help you put together a capsule for your trip.

Hawai’i is casual even for lawyers. But Oahu Waikiki is more formal than Maui for example. I agree with all those that pointed you to Tommy Bahamas. Nordstrom should be able to help too. Sheath dress, nice accessories. Have fun even though it is a work trip. Aloha!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

thank you all so much!!
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

Yes, definitely check out Tommy Bahama, and maybe Vineyard Vines. I just bought a dress yesterday at Tommy Bahama- the Clara dress... it's really flattering, and all of their dresses are 20% off until Feb. 17, I believe. They have a *lot* of options for dresses, as well as other things- cute handbags, jewelry, etc.