Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Liziz View Post
    Interesting -- what makes someone need to see a pediatric dentist vs. not? (I assume you mean they can just as well see a family dentist?) Part of the reason I've always brought my kids to a pedi dentist is because the last time I looked around (not in the area I'm in now, though), the family dentists I checked with all only saw kids once they were 5 or 6 -- my youngest is still under 5. But maybe I assumed that's the way all family dentists were and that's not the case....

My dentist will see kids as early as 1 or 2, but I have always taken them to a pediatric dentist (that is a much more convenient location than mine anyway). I imagine my almost 6 year old would be ok either way by now, but we like their dentist and never have problems scheduling appointments. If we schedule 6 months out we have our choice of days/times to get both kids in at the same time. I would switch if I had trouble scheduling 6 months out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

MMMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I would switch practices, as the scheduling situation sounds like way too much hassle. I can't imagine the scheduling wait will improve over time--it will probably get worse. However, my DCs have always gone to a regular, family dental practice (we all go to the same place), so I am not familiar with pediatric dentistry and their scheduling.
    Mommy to Two DDs
    Member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society

(Why? Because the banana smilie is just so funny)

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by BDKmom View Post
    I would find a new practice. You have only seen them once, so no long term relationship or anything. To me, that is too much hassle to schedule routine appointments.
    Agree! I've never had scheduling issues with our pediatric dentist who we've been seeing for 7+ years. I call and get an appointment the next week or so. Even when DS1 broke his tooth in half several years ago she met us at the office within 2 hours even though she was on a date with her now DH!

Sent from my SM-A600P using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

ezcc is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

We left our pediatric dentist when they stopped taking our insurance. I now take my kids to my dentist, just a regular family dentist and it has been fine. Appointments are so much easier and they don't really miss the bells and whistles (video games in waiting area, movies etc.). I was glad when they were preschool age because it just seemed like they were experts in baby teeth etc but my kids are teenagers and an 8 year old, youngest was 5 or 6 when we switched.

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

We have never had issues getting scheduled with our pediatric dentist. When we schedule a 6-month appointment, we can always get in at that point and have a range of days and times to choose from. If I need to re-schedule within a month or so of the appointment, there are fewer options, and we may have to move out a few weeks, but not months.

I would be concerned if they need to schedule 1-2 years out. What will they do if you have an emergency or even a routine procedure such as a cavity filling or sealants?
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

smilequeen is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Liziz View Post
    Interesting -- what makes someone need to see a pediatric dentist vs. not? (I assume you mean they can just as well see a family dentist?) Part of the reason I've always brought my kids to a pedi dentist is because the last time I looked around (not in the area I'm in now, though), the family dentists I checked with all only saw kids once they were 5 or 6 -- my youngest is still under 5. But maybe I assumed that's the way all family dentists were and that's not the case....
    It can be kids that are very young, if you can't find a family dentist to see them, or young kids who need dental work. Kids with complicated health issues, kids with developmental delays, kids with high anxiety. There are fewer family dentists trained for things that are more complicated. But for many kids, they just need someone who is kind and knowledgeable and many family dentists fit just fine. I always saw kids from whatever age their parents wanted to bring them, but I had a talent with kids and hospital privileges so I could deal with anything. It will depend on how well served an area is, but pediatric dentists schedules can get overwhelmed with kids who are more complicated...they will have days they need to be in the OR treating kids. Their schedules just can't be quite as flexible. So, that's why the scheduling issues can be pretty normal.
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

pharmjenn is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Wow, hearing all this makes me glad we have always just seen our regular dentist. My husband has seen this dentist for over 30 years, and I started with him when I graduated college and stayed in the area. When our son was born, he agreed to see him as well, and we started at under 2 years old. This is a private practice with one dentist, one hygienist and one dental assistant. It means we usually go on separate days, with 2 on one day, and the other of us on a separate day. The dentist usually ends up cleaning DS while the hygienist does my teeth.
    Thankfully, DS has good teeth, only a couple cavities in his 12 years, and all are coming in straight so no braces needed (Even though both parents had horrible need for braces as teenagers!)
    mom to Billy 12/07

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by smilequeen View Post
    It’s pretty normal for a pediatric dentist. There are not enough of them and many kids do not need to see a pediatric dentist honestly.
    I’ve taken my kids to our dentist for the last 10 years or so. I liked the ped dentist we saw when we first moved to town, but the wait time to be seen was too long (in office wait) and upon further reflection, I didn’t want my kids to to feel like they needed the distractions like video games and TVs in the ceilings to go to the dentist, kwim? They’ve done great with our regular dentist.
    K

Mommy_Mea is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

My kids see a pediatric dentist, and we have seen the reverse. The first time patient slots are difficult to get and at a terrible time (middle of the school day) because they save the good slots for the existing patients. I never have an issue getting an appointment exactly six months out, they have you book as you leave your appointment.

I would make an appointment with a new place at the six month mark, and then see if you can get a cancellation spot with the current place. But I hate switching practices (I strongly dislike my primary care doctor and it still has taken years for me to switch).
    DS1 June 2009
    DS2 June 2011

div_0305 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I'd switch. The good ped dentists in my area are BUSY, but 6 months out, you get the appointment you want. When I've had to change, they've been able to work us in within 2 weeks of the original appointment so long as I was flexible with the date and time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2