Staraglimmer is offline Bargain Alerts forum moderator

Default Book help, please

My daughter and her best friend are doing a school project. They need to find a book about 2 friends that is at least a 6th grade reading level. They have to make a video about it. So far every book is either inappropriate for a. 11 year old or two low of a reading level.

Thanks for any help at all. We are stressed over here. ♥️

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Stephanie

Mommy to two little girls,
    April 2008
    June 2012

and a baby boy
    Oct 2018

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Bridge to Terabithia?

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

In addition to Terabithia, as suggested above, I'd also go with:

Anne of Green Gables - LM Montgomery (Anne Shirley and Diana Barry are the kind of BFFs I've always tried to be with my BFFs)

Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret - Judy Blume (OK, so this one's about more than 2 friends, but their changing dynamics make for an interesting novel)

Eight Cousins, or The Aunt Hill - Louisa May Alcott (Yes, it's got "cousins" in its title, but the main character kind of has to befriend her cousins & uncle Alec before she manages to find herself!)

A Little Princess and The Secret Garden - Frances Hodgson Burnett (Yes, okay, they're colonialist and classist, but they do have friendships at their core.)

The Book of Three - Lloyd Alexander (first in the Chronicles of Prydain, it follows the adventures of Taran the Assistant Pig-Keeper and Princess Eilonwy, with their traveling companions Fflewddyr Fflynn and Gurgi)

Pumpkinheads - words by Rainbow Rowell; art by Faith Erin Hicks (it's a graphic novel; I don't know how your DD's school feels about them, but I literally just read it and it's so charming & sweet!)

Book of a Thousand Days - Shannon Hale (it's a retold fairy tale, with much food for thought)

Real Friends - Shannon Hale; art by LeUyen Pham (another graphic novel, but so very worth every panel)
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

elbenn is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Save Me a Seat - It's about boys, but it's a great book about friendship.

https://www.amazon.com/Save-Me-Seat-...1801273&sr=8-1

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by lizzywednesday View Post
    In addition to Terabithia, as suggested above, I'd also go with:

Anne of Green Gables - LM Montgomery (Anne Shirley and Diana Barry are the kind of BFFs I've always tried to be with my BFFs)

Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret - Judy Blume (OK, so this one's about more than 2 friends, but their changing dynamics make for an interesting novel)

Eight Cousins, or The Aunt Hill - Louisa May Alcott (Yes, it's got "cousins" in its title, but the main character kind of has to befriend her cousins & uncle Alec before she manages to find herself!)

A Little Princess and The Secret Garden - Frances Hodgson Burnett (Yes, okay, they're colonialist and classist, but they do have friendships at their core.)

The Book of Three - Lloyd Alexander (first in the Chronicles of Prydain, it follows the adventures of Taran the Assistant Pig-Keeper and Princess Eilonwy, with their traveling companions Fflewddyr Fflynn and Gurgi)

Pumpkinheads - words by Rainbow Rowell; art by Faith Erin Hicks (it's a graphic novel; I don't know how your DD's school feels about them, but I literally just read it and it's so charming & sweet!)

Book of a Thousand Days - Shannon Hale (it's a retold fairy tale, with much food for thought)

Real Friends - Shannon Hale; art by LeUyen Pham (another graphic novel, but so very worth every panel)
    Can I just say I would love to curl up with a cup of tea in front of your bookshelves. You always have such great suggestions!! Off to request some of these.

jent is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

DD, who is in 7th grade, just looked over the reading log she has kept since last year and suggests:

Lily and Dunkin, by Donna Gephart
    The Thing About Jellyfish, Ali Benjamin
    Watch Us Rise, Renee Watson and Ellen Hagan

Good luck!
    Jen, mom to "Little Miss Tiny" 4/07

boilermakermom is offline Bargain Alerts forum moderator

Another vote for Save me a Seat! Great book!!!

klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Possibly An Old Fashioned Girl by Louisa May Alcott. It's about Polly, a poor friend, who comes to visit Fanny, much richer city girl, for the winter. AR gives it an 8.2 reading level.
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by jgenie View Post
    Can I just say I would love to curl up with a cup of tea in front of your bookshelves. You always have such great suggestions!! Off to request some of these.
    Thank you! I have been spending so many of the "DD is not quite ready for this" years reading new-to-me (or re-reading old favorite) middle grade & YA books that when I find one that resonates with me, I want to share it with everyone.

I find that a lot of Shannon Hale and Rainbow Rowell hits that sweet spot.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Staraglimmer is offline Bargain Alerts forum moderator

Thank you so much, everyone! The teacher finally said that he would let them do “As Long as We are Together” even though he would prefer a higher reading level. I’m on overload currently, so I really appreciate all of the suggestions. ♥️

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Stephanie

Mommy to two little girls,
    April 2008
    June 2012

and a baby boy
    Oct 2018