Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I like them plain and cold, cut into wedges with any hard core material cut away. My favorites are Honeycrisp and Pink Lady (they are easy to find and they also seem to keep longer than others and stay crisp). I don't buy other varieties anymore unless I happen to see a local stash of something new that I've never heard of and want to try. But I love Granny Smith apples for baking and for cheese fondue and for the occasional caramel apple

ArizonaGirl is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I'll play!

Cold
    Cut into slices
    Plain or with peanut butter (YUM!)
    Honeycrisp, pink lady or Arkansas black.
    Lindsey

Married to DH June 2005 gave birth to Shawn December 2008 and Lilian August 2012

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Melaine View Post
    My first thought was, "in pie".

Love the honesty!

Room temp whole. Unless they're in a pie, I dont put anything on them.

I usually buy what is on sale. I love empire, honey crisp, golden and pink lady.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

melrose7 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We keep them at room temperature but I wouldn’t turn down a cold one
    Usually sliced but would eat a whole one
    I’ll eat plain or with peanut butter
    Love with caramel though
    Gala and McIntosh are my favorite
    My son loves Granny Smith
    Don’t like Honeycrisp, not sure what the hype is

smilequeen is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I love apple everything. I usually buy Fuji apples and I like them sliced and dipped in PB or almond butter. Or warmed up and sprinkled with cinnamon. If I eat desert, I will almost always pick the apple option if there is one.
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Stewed apples are my favorite way to eat them. And I buy whatever strikes my fancy.
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)

boilermakermom is offline Bargain Alerts forum moderator

Honey crisp at room temp. Then sliced thin!

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I prefer my apples slightly tart and at any temperature ... TBH, my favorite is straight from the tree (we used to go apple picking every fall with my GS troops when I was a kid) with the promise of a cold jug of on-premises-pressed cider waiting in the farmstand as we exit.

We usually buy Gala, Pink Lady, JonaGold, or Cortlandts, depending on what looks good in the grocery store. When I can get to an orchard, I try to pick several different varieties, but usually stick pretty close to Cortlandts & Granny Smiths if I can get them. If I'm cooking with apples, I'm baking pies which means several varieties - Cortlandt plus Granny Smith plus Gala works nicely in pie, but if I'm making applesauce, I like to toss in Fujis.

I don't like the texture of Macintosh or Delicious varieties, so we never buy those.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

elbenn is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

It's interesting that no one peels their apples as I thought a lot of people did this. It's better not to though since a lot of nutrients are in the apple peel.

I have never seen Arkansas black apples in a grocery store here--they must be a regional apple variety.

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Fun question. I thought I answered this but don't see my reply.

So I didn't know cold apples was a thing. I wouldn't mind it at all but we eat all our applies at room temperature since that's where we store them. I like them sliced. I don't like them peeled. I am fine eating a whole apple too.

My favorites are the pink and sweet ones. Gala, pink lady, envy, honeycrisp. I like Opal (sp?) apples too. I will say I don't love granny smith but I will always eat them. I just prefer sweeter apples. In our family there is a clear divide between pink apple people and green apple people. DD and DS2 will ONLY eat green, DS3 will ONLY eat pink.

Ooh. I forgot to mention. I don't like Fuji for some reason. Not sure why. I'll totally eat them. I like them better even than granny smith but I don't ever pick them. Can't figure out what it is that bothers me!
    Last edited by bisous; 02-17-2020 at 01:37 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast