ang79 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default What to pack for 1 week at all-inclusive in Jamaica?

Trying to ignore the cold weather in PA and prepare for heading to Jamaica in June! DH and I went 16 years ago on our honeymoon, but I'm having a hard time remembering what all we took along. DH prefers to fly carry-on only, but I'm thinking in order to pack enough sunscreen and bug spray, we should check at least one bag. I know several swim suits are a must (along with cover-up, sarong or board shorts) and I'm doing another post about a packable sun hat for myself. We will need some dressier clothes for a few of the restaurants at the resort (are close toe sandals like Keen Newports for DH acceptable for the reservation only restaurants or will he need sneakers or dress shoes?). Not sure yet which excursions we will do. I've ordered several pairs of sandals to test out (Keen Rose, Teva Verra, Teva Mush Mandalyn Ola Wedge). Several travel blogs recommend taking stainless steal mugs or water bottles to fill up at the resort and have on the beach to keep drinks safe and cold, as well as a waterproof cell phone pouch. Any recs for those? For beach bag I have several Saltwater mesh bags (Whale, Dolphin, and Bolongo Bay w/ zipper top), but those may be too bulky to pack in a suitcase.
    I also have a JuJuBe Super Be, that would be easy to pack in suitcase, but it doesn't sit as well on the ground since it is narrow and floppy. What else is a must to pack (especially odd things I may be forgetting!)
    Last edited by ang79; 02-18-2020 at 12:03 PM.

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I would do a casual shoe like a Sperry topsider/dock shoe for your DH to go with dressier shorts or causal pants.

Absolutely a waterproof/sandproof cell phone pouch for both of you. Also a decoy sunscreen bottle to put money in at the beach if you think you'll need to have cash while on the beach.

Highly recommend getting a coverup with pockets, so easy to put your room key or phone in while carrying things.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I just use ziplocks for my electronics at the beach. I did buy a water bottle with secret storage compartment.
    Takeya water bottles don’t have that gross stainless steel taste and they keep things cold- and cost a lot less has Yetis or Hydroflasks.
    Check places like Trip Advisor and look at customer pictures for an idea of people actually dress there.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I use a resuable bag that folds really small as a beach bag on these kind of trips. I have also taken a salt water canvas bag though- it doesn’t take up that much space flat. At an all inclusive you will not need to carry $ at the resort. I would leave my cell phone in the room in the safe while at the resort. I would only take books/magazines/sunscreen/hat to the beach/pool. For me it would be swimsuits & cover ups for day and sundresses for night.

Twoboos is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We're just back from an all-inclusive beach trip. I used a LandsEnd string back back for the beach - only needed sunscreen, phone, kindle and sun shirt.

As for sunscreen and bug spray, we took travel sized ones as part of liquids to get started. I eventually bought a sunscreen at the resort which was of course outrageously overpriced, but we only do carryons so I was expecting it. We didn't use the bug spray at all, basically saw no bugs - and DH is super paranoid about potential long-term problems with Zika for DDs in the future. You could also look into getting the bug spray wipes (we got Cutter ones, Amazon has them) so then it's not a liquid, I just had them in my suitcase.

Dress was only "formal" at a couple of dinners, I did sundresses and sandals, DH did nicer shorts and button down with Tevas. You're still on vacation after all but not sure how strict your resort will be. The rest of the time it was shorts/tshirts and flip flops. I way overpacked.

I saw a lot of people with stainless mugs, I admit I was jealous of their continually cold drinks! Also saw some people had towel clips on the lounge chairs to keep the towel in place.

The beach lounge chairs were "reserved" early, some days we couldn't find any "good" ones after 7am! So be aware it might be hard to get seating especially if they have coverage or shade. We finally learned to keep the pool towels overnight and throw those on the loungers we wanted early along with a cheap pair of flip flops. We were usually there by 9-10am but saw ones around us go completely unused until the aftn which was annoying.

Also, plan on a way to keep your cellphone and room key separate. We must have gone through at least 6 keys getting zapped from the phone and then not working. It was hard bc I'm used to throwing all that in my purse but had to figure out something else each time we'd go out!

Have fun!!
    "Every mother needs a wife." - Amy Poehler, Yes Please

Very often, people take the phrase All-Inclusive too literally
    Last edited by Galkina; 06-24-2020 at 01:12 PM.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Galkina View Post
    Very often, people take the phrase All-Inclusive too literally. I know that you should definitely take your personal hygiene products with you on vacation so that you don't spend money and time and don't look for these essentials, such as a toothbrush or comb while traveling. I also advise you to read this article https://www.travelkings.net/top-5-travel-essentials/ about what things is necessary to take with you in vacation. I hope that you write in advance a list of things that you need and then you will not forget anything that can bring discomfort to their absence.
    It’s really bizarre the old posts you find to spam.

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    It’s really bizarre the old posts you find to spam.

Exactly. Especially since no one here is going to an all inclusive resort anytime soon
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)