ang79 is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Default Packable sun hat and travel purse for Jamaica?

I have a large SPF sunhat that I bought at Sam's Club last year that shades my face well but I don't think it will pack in a suitcase easily. Any recs for a cute sunhat that can fold or roll up to pack in a suitcase? Prefer if it has the UVA blocking in it. Also, I am trying to figure out a purse to take. Something that is easy to care and secure for in the airport, but can also be used if we go on an outting from our resort. I have several sling backpacks (Vera Bradley, Kavu, Baggallini), and several cross-body bags (Vera Bradley, Baggallini, Ebags, Kipling). I'd like something not too big, but big enough to carry my sunglasses case, a thin card wallet, passport, plane tickets, small cosmetic bag, tissues, hand sanitizer, bottle of water. Send me your ideas!

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Hat- look at REI.

Bag- get a Baggalini tote for the plane and then have a smaller purse inside. It's how I travel. I like having my phone, kindle, headphones, charger, a layer in case the plane is cold plus the stuff you mentioned. Baggalinis are cheap if you go to TJ Maxx or Marshalls.

With regard to going on outings- if you're doing water sports, hiking, other adventures, you want pockets that zipper. Athleta skorts are my favorite bottoms. A purse makes no sense on those types of outings.

Take a cross body vs backpack.

Just got back from a hot-weather destination, and I got my sun hat from Nordstrom Rack (packed it upside down in suitcase with stuff stuffed in it to keep its shape). Got a little raffia purse for going out to dinner from Lands End (40% off + 2% beats today). I don't love the looks of Baggalini, so I didn't get one, but I'm more o.k. with the looks of Kipling bags, and they have a light gold/ metallic one, or an olive green one out now that's kind of cute if you want something that's not plain black.