Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: School pantry

Our school doesn't have any sort of standing closet. But my co-worker, who lives in my neighborhood, sends her kids to a magnet program that is housed in a Title 1 school. The students wears uniforms — basically khakis and polo shirts of any color, no specifications on brand. They accept gently worn clothes that they give to those who need it. DS doesn't wear a uniform, but I always have khakis and polos on hand when he needs to dress up, and I've donated those.

The school also receives some sort of grant that lets them buy fresh fruit for students to take home with them. I'm sure they do much more. I can ask my co-worker tomorrow.
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We do the backpack program for weekends and school breaks which sends home easy to open/heat and eat nutritious breakfast and lunch items. An area college has a student club focused on food security and they collect donations from college kids and area residence and distribute these to several area schools' backpack programs. So if you have a local college or two you might look to outreach to their volunteer center and see if there are college students who can help.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

Our backpack program man power comes from a non-profit that provides jobs and other services to adults with disabilities. I believe it’s a collaboration between the local food bank which provides the non-perishable food, non-profit which provides the labor, and school district which provides staff that forms the final link getting backpacks to and from the kids in need.
    momma to DD 12/08 & DS 3/13

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2