Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    wallawala is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Dog Hair Whine-- Anyone recommend a dog brush/vacuum?

Dying in drifting tumbleweeds of dog hair here!

We adopted a 1 yro yellow lab, and so just had her spayed about 6 weeks ago. She totally blowing her coat and as it's full-on winter here, it like snowing inside.
    I didn't even know I had allergies until last week, but I'm maxed out on Zyrtec and there's a lint roller on every corner to keep our clothes from being scary furry.
    I vacuum daily (fills the canister daily), but we are just not keeping up with the massive amount of hair. Yes we have a furminator, but it's too cold to do it outside (foot of snow out there) and its a massive mess indoors.

Anyone have an attachment for the vacuum you like to use ON THE DOG? She's a typical short hair lab, but with winter her undercoat is so thick.....

Ha! Black Lab owner here...We do what you are doing (frequent vacuuming, lint rollers, etc.), but have just learned to live with it. My wardrobe is 90% black these days...We do use a Roomba, but I don’t think it does that great of a job.

We also brush every week (or 2x per week) and get tons of hair out. Do not use a Furminator, it will ruin a Lab coat. Use a metal toothed brush or pin brush. That helps a ton.

Allergies are not an issue for us.

Good thing they are the best dogs in the world.

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I think lab coats are similar to doberman coats. The zoom Groom brush worked well for us. Gently pulled out excess coat. Also after brushing, wiping down with a damp microfiber cloth also helped.

Depending on what sort of vacuum you have, there may be a power upholstry brush - ours does. We used that a few x a week. Roomba 1x a day and regular vacuum at night.

Giving Salmon oils or fish oil also helped with shedding.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

We have a yellow lab also, the fur is mind blowing. We have a furminator but have only used it a few times - it can be really hard on their skin so be sure to check for irritation. I've heard that once/week is the max to use a furminator on a lab, if they are able to tolerate it. We use the Zoom Groom brush https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002AR19Q...ing=UTF8&psc=1 which is gentle on their skin but really pulls out the loose coat. My pup is obsessed with it - she gets sooo excited when we bring the brush out and loves to be brushed. This time of year, I'm brushing her once a week for 30 minutes each time (inside due to weather, and I swear it's a cat's worth of fur that is on the floor afterwards!), and running our robot vacuum at least once every day. After a good brushing, there is noticeably less hair on the floor for most of a week. A furminator isn't nearly as effective for us. I feel like I've seen videos of someone vacuuming their dog but don't recall what type of attachment they used. I'm so sorry about your allergies, and hope you find something that helps!
    Allison

DD1 11/05
    DS 04/08
    DD2 11/11

Doberbrat, Lab coats (double coated dogs) are very different from Doberman coats (no undercoat, so single coated).

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Honestly, the thing that works best for us is to have our GSD professionally groomed in the fall, and every two or three months through the winter. It's a bit expensive, but I swear it makes a huge difference for weeks afterword. His undercoat is so think in winter that I could brush for an hour and have hair the next day. I don't know what the groomer does that I don't - but it works.

smilequeen is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I have a different type of shed crazy dog (rough collie) and regular professional grooming makes a big difference. I have a Miele pet vacuum and I have to vacuum a lot. I keep her off furniture even though I’d love to snuggle her. And I keep a lint roller around all the time.
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I have lab/gsd/border collie mix and I live in tumbleweed pet hair land. The GSD/border collie component of my dog makes her shedding way worse than a lab, as her hair is longer with a wave.

We use a miele cordless almost every day and a real miele once a week. Hair is everywhere. I agree that professional grooming helps.

kdeunc is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We have 2 German Shepherds and an English Mastiff. We just got a Dyson V10 Animal and it has been awesome. Cordless, lightweight and does a great job with the hair. We do use a furminator and/or a shedding blade on our GSD and a grooming glove on the Mastiff.
    Kelly

DS 1 12-02
    DS 2 12-04
    DD 07-08

wallawala is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I bought something off amazon, and will post when I get a chance to really try it. Sweet dog is not so sure about being close enough to vacuum yet to try it on her.

We did just buy the zoom brush. We got the cat version as our PetSmart doesn't carry the dog version for some reason, but it's soft and gets alot of hair out.

Not sure if these photos will attach or not... first is our Shark Lift Away canister vac, second is contents emptied out.
    This is 24hours of hair from 8x10 area rug and 12x12 office room.

dog hair 2.jpgdog hair 1.jpg

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast