Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    daisyd is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Volunteer/ community service opportunities for 12 yr old

I'm looking for volunteer/ community service opportunities for DC who will be 12 yrs old this fall. Everything I've seen so far appears to be geared towards high schoolers. I was hoping to find something for the summer to get him to do a few hours every week to build a sense of giving back and responsibility for our community. Any ideas?

I'd be happy to go with him if it would be easier for a parent-child pair to find opportunities.

He likes music, technology, sports, books and animals. TIA!

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

One of DGD1's friends and the friend's mother have been volunteering together regularly at a local animal shelter for a couple of years (so starting maybe when friend was 13?). Not sure about age requirements but when it’s a mother/kid pair, those may not apply. My impression is that they both really like it, and I suspect this has given them a positive joint activity at a time when they are otherwise dealing with some rocky teen issues.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Try the local library

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Library
    Packing snack packs for kids
    Church nursery/ little kids area
    Nursing homes (read/ talk to the residents)

I was in high school when I volunteered at the local public library, but I think the minimum age to volunteer in the children’s department was around 10.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Is there something through her school? Perhaps tutoring younger kids?

Helping at a summer camp?

Ask through your church/place of worship.

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default Volunteer/ community service opportunities for 12 yr old

I had similar issue when looking for DS for grade 9 volunteer requirement. Most places required adult be present if child was under 16. He wanted to volunteer at a animal shelter and some places would only take teens over 16 or adults. A local non-profit cat rescue allows kids with parent present when under 15. So I had to volunteer with him for the first semester. He can go on his own now, but I like helping out, so I still go with him once a month.

I’d look to smaller non-profits as the larger shelters/charities had more requirements. Eg one large charity food bank wanted basically a resume and references from me. There were several layers to go through. The smaller cat rescue had us attend an orientation meeting and a basic application. They also had more options throughout the week and weekend to help out. Just keep googling

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Last edited by niccig; 02-21-2020 at 01:03 AM.

Our food bank allows kids 10 and up to volunteer with an adult. When DS was in 5th grade it was one of their service projects.

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Is he involved in a sport? Could he mentor/assist a coach with a low-cost league?

daisyd is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Thanks all for your replies. I had checked the library, after school program, DC's Taekwondo dojo and an animal shelter they look for high schoolers.

I'll check the food bank, nursing homes and smaller organizations like nicci suggested.

DC had an additional lead that I need to follow up on. I'm posting here in case it helps someone else. The Council of aging runs programs for seniors to get help with technology and DC thought he might enjoy it.

Please keep your ideas coming. Thanks again!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast