Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Our local food bank - the large distribution center - allows volunteers on the warehouse floor starting at 12 with a parent. We have many smaller food banks that they serve but I'm not sure about their age limits. DS1 and I started going regularly when he turned 12, switched to a year round school and I needed to fill his days while siblings were in school. It's been a great experience. Really helped him to have an established volunteer routine once he joined NJHS and needed hours and didn't need to scramble to find them.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Look for a local Lions Club and ask if they have a Leo Club (for kids). Lions club is social service oriented, so the Leo club would be the same, but for kids. There are lots of Lions Clubs, so if the one you call doesn't have one, ask if there is a Leo club somewhere else within their zone (as reference, our zone in my state cover about a 3 county adjacent area).
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

squimp is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

That is wonderful that you want to help out in the community. What does he like to do? My DD received the presidential volunteer award in middle school. She is sporty and many of her activities revolved around sports or little kids based on her interests. Here are some of her activities:

Local donation programs have regular events that she helped with
    Our Humane Society has programs for younger kids
    Special Olympics events (may require you to go)
    Boys and Girls club sports (DD volunteered with the K-2 track program)
    Parks and Rec sports coaching/helping

Youth Volunteer Corps is great as a local source of activities. They have a summer camp program here run through our local Parks and Rec.
    https://yvc.org/

daisyd is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by hellokitty View Post
    Look for a local Lions Club and ask if they have a Leo Club (for kids). Lions club is social service oriented, so the Leo club would be the same, but for kids. There are lots of Lions Clubs, so if the one you call doesn't have one, ask if there is a Leo club somewhere else within their zone (as reference, our zone in my state cover about a 3 county adjacent area).
    Thanks, I'll look into this.

Quote Originally Posted by squimp View Post
    That is wonderful that you want to help out in the community. What does he like to do? My DD received the presidential volunteer award in middle school. She is sporty and many of her activities revolved around sports or little kids based on her interests. Here are some of her activities:

Local donation programs have regular events that she helped with
    Our Humane Society has programs for younger kids
    Special Olympics events (may require you to go)
    Boys and Girls club sports (DD volunteered with the K-2 track program)
    Parks and Rec sports coaching/helping

Youth Volunteer Corps is great as a local source of activities. They have a summer camp program here run through our local Parks and Rec.
    https://yvc.org/
    These are great ideas, thanks! Kudos to your DD on her volunteer work.

Jeanne is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Local food bank or pantry. We’ve been doing this since they were 5. Seeing people with such a basic need in our community has taught them a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanne View Post
    Local food bank or pantry. We’ve been doing this since they were 5. Seeing people with such a basic need in our community has taught them a lot.
    Thanks Jeanne. I got in touch with a food bank yesterday though their website said volunteers need to be high school aged, like PPs said there were opportunities for a younger child when supervised by a parent.

Thanks all for chiming in!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2