Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Do not buy new furniture for 3 months. Feel out the house first, how you will actually use each space during daily life.

mommy111 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

get an interior designer or an online design service to help with the layout. it really makes a huge difference
    '...everything can be taken from a man but one thing, the Last of the Human Freedoms, the ability to choose one's behavior in any set of circumstances, the Freedom to Choose One's Own Way.' -Viktor Frankle

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Chart

Quote Originally Posted by marymoo86 View Post
    Independent inspection.
    Even brand new houses can have major issues.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Air it out. Keep all windows open as much as possible - it's amazing how much things off-gas.

Really think about the flow. Don't be afraid to move things multiple times until you get the right fit.

Post-it notes are a good thing. I can't tell you how many times I stood in the middle of the kitchen thinking - where did I put that???

Start a manuals box - put all of your manuals together someplace easy to find.

Make sure you know how to turn off the whole house power and water. Keep making them explain until you are sure you understand - all of the adults and teens who will be living in the house.

Blue Tape. Get some from the contractor or buy it yourself. Mark every single place something is wrong - every paint overspray, missing trim, windows or doors that don't close right, loose knobs, whatever - mark it the minute you find it. Every time you go to the house, wear it like a bracelet. Such a fashion statement! Most contracts don't fix any cosmetic issues once you start moving in. If you're annoying the contractor, you're doing it right.

Make sure you are at the house during/after heavy rain so you can see where/how water is pooling.

If there is extra material that the contractor is having thrown out, take a look and see if you want any. We have several things we saved for possible later repairs - roof tiles, extra trim pieces, we even rescued some tile scraps (for our kitchen back splash) from the dumpster. Just make sure they are being thrown out.

I'm sure I'll have more.. good luck!

anonomom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Before closing, do not assume any issue will be fixed -- bring it up to the construction manager. And don't be afraid to point out where whatever is installed/built differs from your specs. Mistakes happen -- we had an extra window framed out, our front door color was totally different, other doors were installed backwards, the carpet for one floor was installed in a different floor, and two of the bathroom vanities were swapped.
    DC1 -- 2005 DD -- 2009 DS -- 2011

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I was also going to mention putting blue tape (or yellow or whatever will stand out) on any imperfections you come across. That way it will stand out and remind you if something needs fixing.

Im sure this has been said before and not just for new home builds, but after you get a cleaning crew to wipe out drawers, cabinets and walls from the sheet-rock dust, you can start to move in. But do it slowly. Expect that you will be in box purgatory for awhile. Pack in suitcases 3 weeks worth of stuff you will need- sheets, towels, silverware, clothes and buy paper for the beginning. That way, you have what you need to move in and can live out of your suitcases while you slowly unpack little by little.

Congrats on your new house!
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2