Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Safe Car List

Kindra178 is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Safe Car List

Random question for old timers. Probably 13 years ago someone linked a list of the safest cars. I can’t find it. Anyone remember?

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

MaiseyDog is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I don’t have the original list but was looking just this morning at this https://www.iihs.org/ratings/top-saf...#award-winners

DD1 just got her learners permit and I’m trying to plan ahead for when she has her license.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Total spin off but I picked our RAV4 with lots of good safety features so my teen driver could use it. Well, grandma gave him a crappy 2013 Ford Fiesta and he prefers to drive it. I begged him tonight to take my RAV4 and he refused.

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Safe Car List

When I was looking for cars in 2016 I watched a lot of crash test videos. I kept coming back to Subaru, Mazda, Volvo, and Mercedes. All of them had great results. The Mercedes was of course always out of our price range so we focused on the other 3 and then decided Volvo was a little too much too as well. We ended up with a Subaru and couldn’t be happier. I would buy another one for myself (kind of bummed neither DH nor I are wowed by the Ascent and I can’t see us being a two Outback family).

As far as teen drivers go I am looking for reliability and affordability. At this point we still have a 2006 Honda Pilot and tbh if DD1 is comfortable with it it would be the best choice economically as it is free and cheaper to insure. It has no bells and whistles which imho isn’t a bad thing because we should all know how to park a car without a camera, and change lanes using rear view and side view mirrors. It has a whole host of airbags as well. We might also have access to a early 2010s model Chevy Cruze (Dh’s grandma’s car, which I wouldn’t mind buying from her estate when she passes....she is 99.....Dh’s uncle is the only one who drives it just for doctors appts. for her) which probably has low miles, is a smaller car and should be rarely cheap to insure. We might also be able to buy my sister’s 2012 Nissan Altima if she wants sell it around that time, not low miles, but again reliable and should be affordable to insure.

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Total spin off but I picked our RAV4 with lots of good safety features so my teen driver could use it. Well, grandma gave him a crappy 2013 Ford Fiesta and he prefers to drive it. I begged him tonight to take my RAV4 and he refused.

His car vs. your car.....his car is still better....

I know this is now almost 10 years old, but I still love it.... https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7e7R3y-qwZ0

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 02-24-2020 at 10:05 AM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

legaleagle is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

The Car Seat Lady has one that ranks both safety and friendliness to car seats, but I don't think you need that part!

Aishe is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

jse107 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I think this is a nice comprehensive list:
    https://www.iihs.org/ratings/safe-vehicles-for-teens
    (I have a soon-to-be driving teen)
    Jen
    "What we permit we promote."

Quote Originally Posted by jse107 View Post
    I think this is a nice comprehensive list:
    https://www.iihs.org/ratings/safe-vehicles-for-teens
    (I have a soon-to-be driving teen)

Thank you! I've been following this thread since DS1 is 14.5 yo. Very helpful!
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I just wanted to put a plug in for teaching your children to drive a stick shift, manual transmission. My 16yo can drive both automatic and manual but we bought him a manual Volkswagen Alltrac. His friends never ask to drive his car (because they don’t know how) and there is no way he can text or mess with his phone because he needs his right hand to shift.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Kindra178 is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Aishe View Post
    Yes, thank you!!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast