Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Safe Car List

Quote Originally Posted by gatorsmom View Post
    I just wanted to put a plug in for teaching your children to drive a stick shift, manual transmission. My 16yo can drive both automatic and manual but we bought him a manual Volkswagen Alltrac. His friends never ask to drive his car (because they don’t know how) and there is no way he can text or mess with his phone because he needs his right hand to shift.
    It's hard finding manual cars! I love manual, and I really think VW may be the only ones manufacturing them that are a "performance" car manufacturer (I could be wrong.) I grew up driving stick, and miss it.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by TwinFoxes View Post
    It's hard finding manual cars! I love manual, and I really think VW may be the only ones manufacturing them that are a "performance" car manufacturer (I could be wrong.) I grew up driving stick, and miss it.
    It is vanishingly hard to find a manual anymore. Yes, VW is still in the game, but it's sister-company Audi is out. BWM and Mazada still have options. Porsche was seemingly out, but ended up adding some for 2020. Not sure about 2021. For most of them it is only a handful of "enthusiast" models that have it as an option. (Mustang, Dodge Hellcat, BRZ, Corvette, etc.) Just doing some googling for 2020 and 2021 options, it does seem there is a bit of a resurgence. A bit. They are still "rare" nowadays for sure.

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Safe Car List

Quote Originally Posted by TwinFoxes View Post
    Yep....I miss my VW Passat TDI. I actually liked driving a stick in traffic.

A few years ago Honda sold one model of the Accord that was a stick. I believe there might be some Toyotas, Hondas, and Subaru with a stick but yes maybe only on the sporty models.

Thieves won’t steel manual transmission cars either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by gatorsmom View Post
    I just wanted to put a plug in for teaching your children to drive a stick shift, manual transmission. My 16yo can drive both automatic and manual but we bought him a manual Volkswagen Alltrac. His friends never ask to drive his car (because they don’t know how) and there is no way he can text or mess with his phone because he needs his right hand to shift.
    My dad insisted I learn to drive a stick when I started driving. He said if I could drive a stick I would never be stuck. I’m glad he insisted.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by jgenie View Post
    My dad insisted I learn to drive a stick when I started driving. He said if I could drive a stick I would never be stuck. I’m glad he insisted.

The only guy I ever knew that expressed "regret" knowing how to drive stick was because they went on a couples trip to Ireland. Automatics were WAY more expensive to rent.

Out of 6 people, he was the only one that could drive a stick. So, pub after pub, he was the designated driver by default. And, it was a right hand drive! Yickes. I think I'd have lied and said I didn't know how to drive one.

We have an oooooold manual Accord. Thing keeps on trucking and my husband still drives it quite a bit. It looks terrible, and people find it hilarious the vehicles he alternates between - but he rocks it.

My youngest has driven it when he very first started driving, but not really at all since. My oldest has barely barely driven it. She was getting super duper desperate when she was nearing 16 and still didn't have a car. She was considering it. But she's just really nervous and closed-minded about them.

I hadn't driven manual in quite some time and had to pick the Honda up from somewhere and drive it home. I kind of had a panic attack halfway home at a stop light. I was thinking about the moves my feet needed to make and was wishing I wasn't wearing flip flops and kind of blanked out on what to do.

The light finally changed and I just did it. But, whew, it was really scary for a few seconds sitting there with shaking ankles not knowing what to do!!!

marinkitty is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by jgenie View Post

This was my dad's rule too and I'm so grateful for it. I'm going to have our kids learn too. DD is getting her license any day and we only have automatics but we have a manual Jeep at our house in Portugal and she will learn how to drive it this summer. When we do buy the kids a car I'd like to get a manual - besides VWs, Jeeps come in Manual (we test drove one here two years ago before we bought the one we have in Portugal via internet) and here Jeeps are the #1 most common teen car (although 99% of them are automatic).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2