Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Additional questions! Feedback on our Southwest Roadtrip?

We are attempting to make a roadtrip out of a family event!

The event follows VERY closely to the end of school. In fact, to make it work 3 of my kids will miss the last day of school (which is pretty non-academic and I’m ok with!)

We leave on Thursday night and stay the first night with DHs sister in the greater Phoenix area. The next day (Friday) we’ll drive almost 12 hours to Lubbock TX where we will stay the next couple of nights. The event will take place on Saturday afternoon. We will stay Sunday to for worship activities. We are deciding whether we will stay Monday as well. It will be dependent somewhat on costs and our subsequent activities. There is a science museum in Lubbock my kids might really enjoy.

The next day we will be driving back towards Phoenix. We had thought to stay near Petrified Forest (8 hour drive) or all the way to Phoenix with DHs sister again? Not sure. Anyone have experience with the petrified forest?

Guys, I waited too long and Tusayan is completely booked and entirely out of our price range. How bad would a stay in Williams be instead?

Also, Is there an interesting place to stay between Lubbock and Phoenix? Or a worthwhile hotel?

TIA!!

That morning we will join SIL visiting Bearizona and heading to the Grand Canyon. I got some good advice about where to stay/how to best see the Grand Canyon but I’m a little nervous that we’re already late in the game. We were thinking to spend a night near the GC.

The next day we were thinking of doing the GC touring, then hitting Horseshoe Bend. Then heading home via Las Vegas. My brother lives there. We’d love to see his kids but we would not be staying with them. We can stay in St. George, or anywhere in NV.

The last day we’d be traveling home.

What do you think of our schedule? Would you compress or extend any parts? We wouldn’t have to be home until the following Saturday. Finances are a consideration but we want to pay enough to create positive memories for the kids and make connections with our families. I feel like the last 3 nights/days might be tiring. We have 2 little kids who aren’t great travelers. I’d love any general trips. Also any info on getting good places to stay?

Thank you!!
    Last edited by bisous; 02-24-2020 at 02:40 PM.