Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    hwin708 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Some of the voiced concerns really are an issue of improperly constructed wetrooms, more than the wetrooms themselves. My floor definitely does NOT stay wet. Anytime you build a shower, the floor is supposed to slope (invisibly to the eye) towards the drain. This is doubly important when building a curbless shower, which is obviously what you have in a wet room. And when building a wet room, the whole room itself is essentially one big shower, so the ENTIRE floor needs to slope toward the drain.

And a GOOD fan makes a huge difference. There are plenty of crummy fans out there that do little but make noise. And plenty of contractors who don't even install fans! But a good fan will remove the humidity left in the air from a shower, which, when there is a shower curtain, is all that is causing the damp toilet paper. Just be sure the vent is venting the moisture outside the house, and not redirecting it to elsewhere in the house. Our contractor strongly prefers Panasonic fans.

hwin708 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Percycat View Post
    My MIL is putting one in her house. She has a huge bathroom with an enormous tub (too big for her water heater to fill) and is having it redone as a wet room... one side will be a shower. I think she likes it in part because it is a new trend, but also because she is older and has mobility issues and is looking forward to not having to step into a shower area.
    I know a LOT of people who have done this version of a wet room, with the tub inside the walk-in curbless shower. This is definitely a current trend. It can also be a better use of space when people want a walk-in shower plus a tub, but want to keep the shower elbow room as spacious as possible. But this is usually in large master bathrooms anyway, so different from the type of wetroom that is maximizing a very small space by having everything as "part" of the shower, including the sink and toilet.

I also think that regardless of the wet room issue, curbless showers are the only way to go for the elderly and mobility impaired.

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Those are cool! I think the shower curtain idea would work, but I am thinking my contractor is going to need a lot more convincing. Damp TP sounds so gross

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mom2binsd is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I had no idea what this was at first, but then realized when I lived in Denmark many apartments I stayed in had this as there only bathroom. If I remember they had a squeegee for the extra water and the toilet paper might have been inside a cabinet and hand towel hung on the wall far from the shower.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by hwin708 View Post
    I also think that regardless of the wet room issue, curbless showers are the only way to go for the elderly and mobility impaired.
    And a related point: be sure the flooring material is as nonskid as possible. (And don’t forget good grab bars — maybe not very fashionable, but essential for a safe and comfortable shower.)

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3