Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Question S/O family trips... minimum age for an overseas family trip?

I'd love to take our kids to Europe, but am worried about the jet lag on the way there and back, and just getting around with a young one.

How old was your child/ your youngest child when you went on an airplane trip that lasted 7+ hours?

Thanks for chiming in!

My family is overseas in Europe, so there was never any doubt of them not going just because they’re too young. Having that said, we went when my oldest was 2, and myself pregnant with DS2 for a trip in the fall.

Since DS2 was born 6 years ago, we’ve been over a total of 3 times. And may go again this summer, which I’m looking forward to the most as it’ll be the longest trip, and at summer where I prefer to go over vs Xmas (too busy and frantic) and spring break when it’s often between of cold and rainy. Also finally, since DS2 will be 6.5, no longer takes naps, past potty training (all of which were factors in our last trip) and no strollers, it’ll be by far the easiest trip to do tons of things together that I’ve previously opted out not to do. Jet lag was never an issue for us, we just hit the 1st day with a light outdoor activity to keep us going, and go to bed at their local time.

Most people prefer to go when their kids are past potty training/nap phases, but only you can judge that. All depends on what you guys want to do too. Having that said, we’re planning on hitting up London, France, Portugal in one trip. Then Italy and Morocco in another trip when youngest is 10 at least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

kids have been to europe annually since birth. The youngest was 6 or 8 weeks old. Jetlag can be rough just plan on a day or 2 of not a lot when you land.
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

We did Hawaii from the Midwest when my middle kid was 18 mo. That was a very hard age for travel. We went to Iceland last summer when my youngest was 5.5. He did great and adjusted immediately. Older kids (10 and 13) had a harder time with the time change, in part because it was light 24 hours a day. We are going to Scotland this summer.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

SASM is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We wanted to wait until our youngest would remember, appreciate, and keep up with us on an expensive European trip. We knew if we were going over there, it would be long and not laid back. She was 10...not only did she keep up and remember every detail of our London/Scotland/Ireland trip, she now wants to move there. The next summer we went to Norway. She is upset that we are not going abroad this coming summer. Needless to say, she handled jet lag fine.
    Mom to:
    1 BLUE (03) and 2 PINK (05 & 07)
    ^i^ 10.01 & 12.03

Pardon my typos...blasted Auto-correct!!

Philly Mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My kids were babies and we have gone every year. 14 months was the hardest flight but the trips themselves were always great. Jet lag has never held us back. One good night sleep and we are good to go. We also come back and often go straight to school. The trip is worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

DH's brother got married in Greece when DS2 had just turned 5 so that was our first really big trip. We did Greece and Rome over 3 weeks. For all the touristy things we did, like seeing the Vatican museum which takes hours, I'm glad DS2 was 5. I feel like it would have been much harder if he was younger. At 5 he was potty trained, done napping, out of a stroller, big enough to use a booster, etc. When DS2 was 3 we went to Hawaii with no issue, but we're in CA so it's not that long of a flight (6.5 hrs).

Sent from my SM-A600P using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

basil is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We took my son when he was I think 8 months. The flight was hard but he was fine.

We haven't been back to Europe since then, but I would like to plan something in the next few years. I agree with PP who said that it's important that they can remember the trip! I first went around 14 or so, which meant my brother was about 11-12. I think my son could easily handle the trip (he's 8) but my daughter (age 5) may have a tougher time with a lot of walking and may not get as much out of the historical sites.
    DS- 8/11
    DD- 5/14

I think it depends on if your family is going to go to Europe every year/few years, or if this is a "once in a lifetime/childhood" trip for you or your kids. We go wherever with the kids from a very young age if it's places like Bermuda or the Caribbean that we know we'll go back to, don't care if we are working around their nap schedules, ok if we don't get to do/see everything, etc. But we are saving the big one-time trips for when they are probably at least 8-10.
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

We started traveling overseas when DS1 was a baby and have continued to do so almost every year. We initially traveled because DH and I wanted to go but didn't want to always leave our kids behind so we weren't as concerned about them remembering everything. I feel like it depends on your expectations as it is certainly not a "vacation" but a trip. We stop at almost every park we see, get ice cream frequently and sometimes have to scrap plans to spend an evening at the hotel pool. We've found European cities to have great parks for kids to decompress and run around.

In flight entertainment has always been a savior on long flights but I've always planned to provide all the entertainment if need be. Not going to lie, some flights are easier than others but it's doable at all ages. My kids have handled jet lag better than I do. They seem to have one difficult night and then shift to the new time both at our destination and upon return. We always try to jolt ourselves to adjust quickly.

It's amazing to watch kids experience new and different cultures. While they may not remember every detail of the trips, they will take in the lessons one can only learn experiencing it first hand, being immersed in the differences and similarities.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast