basil is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Williamsburg for K/2nd grade?

Looking for somewhere to go for April vacation this year. We want to spend a few days at home as well, so somewhere for 3-4 days that isn't too far from New England. Last year we did NYC.

Looking at Williamsburg? DS is into the Revolutionary war these days so I thought he may like the colonial aspect of it.

Thoughts or other suggestions?

TIA!
    DS- 8/11
    DD- 5/14

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I’d make sure the things you are most interested in seeing are open. I assume they are but it might still be off season (if many of their workers are high school and college then it’s a staffing challenge). What about DC? A trip to Mt. Vernon would be great!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

basil is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    I’d make sure the things you are most interested in seeing are open. I assume they are but it might still be off season (if many of their workers are high school and college then it’s a staffing challenge). What about DC? A trip to Mt. Vernon would be great!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    DC is where DH's family lives...they went there for a weekend in December without me...but I am not touching that with a 10 foot pole!
    DS- 8/11
    DD- 5/14

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

It’s all definitely open. Beware that is a popular time for school field trips. DD’s school is going and I have heard from parent chaperones on previous trips that it is crazy crowded with so many schools.

klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We've done Williamsburg area quite a few times over the years, usually with a side trip to Busch Gardens. We've stayed at a few different hotels, including the Great Wolf there. If you/your kids like the historical side of things, there's also Jamestown/Jamestowne (first is the recreation site, second is the actual archaeological site) and Yorktown nearby.

ETA: our crew loves to take the free ferry from Jamestown, too, so you might consider that, although, it's not too exciting if you just take it & have to turn around to take it right back. We usually use it as our route home.
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)