Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default Are you doing anything to prepare for the Corona virus?

I’m not particularly worried about my husband and kids because we are all in good health (well, Dh has compromised immune system but he’s very careful about resting as needed and taking precautions- hand sanitizer, frequent hand washing, not touching his face, etc.). But I’m concerned about some of my elderly relatives and ILs. (my parents are both dead).

Are any of you buying N95 masks or stocking up on medications? Just curious. A friend in Italy says it’s getting harder to buy common cold meds there and doesn’t feel their government’s response was strong enough.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

A friend of mine has masks and is buying canned food (to replace her "ebola food" as she puts it) and thinks that we'll be quarantined for three months. I have done nothing.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by TwinFoxes View Post
    A friend of mine has masks and is buying canned food (to replace her "ebola food" as she puts it) and thinks that we'll be quarantined for three months. I have done nothing.
    Oh my! My kids and DH would rather die of the corona virus (or Ebola) than eat canned food.

ETA- that sounded really snobby but feeding my family lots of fresh vegetables has turned my kids into picky eaters
    Last edited by gatorsmom; 02-25-2020 at 02:48 PM.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

smilequeen is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

No. Other than that my husband canceled his trip to China this spring. I'm not particularly worried.
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Not prepping per se, but definitely starting to evaluate the likelihood of some upcoming plans. We are living in London and DS is supposed to go on a field trip to France in a few weeks. School keeps sending emails basically saying they are constantly evaluating the trips. All HS students go somewhere but there’s lots of trips to different places. The Mandarin class trip to China is definitely cancelled. I think all the trips will be cancelled for fear of getting stranded in a foreign country with other people’s kids. Italy has really rattled Europe. I’m supposed to run a half marathon in Prague the end of March and we’re starting to wonder if it’s at risk. We just got back from a week long February break and being an international school most of the families go away to pretty far off places. Families coming back from some areas are being asked to self quarantine at the first sign of cold symptoms. I did order 4 masks from Amazon last night that I hope go to complete waste. I just worry that if London has an outbreak and we quarantine I may want to have something for going to get groceries or trying to fly back to the US. Just made me feel a little better in case they can’t be found later. I genuinely don’t worry that much yet about catching the virus but more getting stranded if we travel or quarantined upon return. We also have 2 different families that are supposed to visit in the next couple months so I’m wondering what will come of those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I got a pack of masks just in case, figured they could be useful in other scenarios in the future. I haven't stocked up on food because we have a fair bit in the pantry anyway. A friend is attending a huge convention soon and I'm a bit nervous about thousands of people from around the world in the same airspace.

One of my friends just cancelled a trip to Thailand. They weren't extremely worried about getting sick as much as potentially quarantined when they try to return to the US. They also realized they wouldn't be comfortable being in some of the very busy markets and tourist attractions.

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Well, I'm Asian so believe it or not, I've had to change my behavior to try my best not to cough or sneeze in public. I've already been discriminated against even though I've never been to China (and I wasn't coughing or sneezing or anything! All I did was to sit down next to someone at a meeting). My parents canceled a cruise vacation to Europe for a couple of reasons - 1) didn't want to be discriminated against and 2) didn't want to risk getting stuck there in a quarantine.

Otherwise we carry on like we normally do during flu season. Handwashing, don't touch your face, etc...nothing different or special. And to reiterate my small outrage, people need to be coughing/sneezing into their elbows and not into their g*dd*mn f*cking hands. Watching people sneeze into their hands and then rifle through the sodas in the cooler at the airport just makes my blood boil.
    Last edited by twowhat?; 02-25-2020 at 03:59 PM.

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I’m getting nervous. Living in Los Angeles there are so many people here. As a teacher I’m exposed to countless germs every day. My younger son has severe lung issues. My school district will not close when there are wildfires a few miles from our school, so they won’t close for a virus unless the state forces them too, and I don’t trust the state.

I need to stock up on cold and flu meds. I always have a huge stock of my sons nebulizer meds, but will see if I can get some more oral steroids for just in case. We have plenty of water, but will need to stock up on non perishable food. We have an earthquake kit, but that is only for a few days.

Yes . I just purchased a freezer. I haven’t purchased masks yet. We have regular ones but not the special ones. I did buy Advil at costco today, plus Sudafed at target (can’t really hoard that). I have bought extra food, but only stuff we normally eat. (20 lb bag of jasmine rice ). Only canned goods I’ve purchased are beans and tomatoes (I don’t like canned vegetables.). I will get frozen veggies once the big freezer arrives tomorrow. I might prep freezer meals. I did buy more toilet paper, paper towels, Kleenex, laundry detergent, Lysol, etc. at Costco today.

We are going to buy trip insurance for our trip to Scotland this summer.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

We had a family vacation planned to China in April. It's cancelled now, of course. We rescheduled to Hawaii and I'm hoping it all works out!

We do have a case of masks that my MIL had sent to us. I am actually considering stocking up on some non perishables. I really shop day of for food and what not so we don't have a lot of food on hand. Would be good to fill freezer/pantry in case we get stuck at home.
    Sweetie Pies, DS 9/2004 & DS 4/2008

Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast