Page 3 of 40 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
    essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by MSWR0319 View Post
    I watched am immunologist speak today on TV and they said that for most people basic hand washing and not touching your face is the key to prevention. They actually recommended not wearing masks unless you are sick because when you wear a mask you're constantly touching your face to adjust it, which actually puts you at a higher risk of getting the virus. They also mentioned that it's mostly older people and those with things like heart disease, diabetes, etc that are the ones getting sick the worst. Obviously there are random cases of healthy, young individuals getting sick like you have with the flu or anything else, but for the most part the virus is mild.
    Yes, this is exactly everything that I had heard, especially the part about wearing a mask putting you at higher risk.

Sent from my SM-A600P using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ged View Post
    What kind of medication? I haven't even considered that. We typically don't medicate for colds. Maybe ibuprofen for a fever.
    Prescription and then any of those basics that you wouldn’t want to run out for.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Quote Originally Posted by Green_Tea View Post
    I am not concerned at all.
    This, thus far, it has a pretty low mortality rate, slightly more than 2 percent, similar to the plain old flu (Ebola was over 60 percent). I’m hoping it abates with the change of season like other viral illnesses.

Default Are you doing anything to prepare for the Corona virus?

Quote Originally Posted by westwoodmom04 View Post
    This, thus far, it has a pretty low mortality rate, slightly more than 2 percent, similar to the plain old flu (Ebola was over 60 percent). I’m hoping it abates with the change of season like other viral illnesses.
    Influenza is 0.1%, so coronavirus is 20x more deadly
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I am not concerned much at all either. Basic hand washing, and vitamin D and C are about all we are doing extra.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Quote Originally Posted by georgiegirl View Post
    Influenza is 0.1%, so coronavirus is 20x more deadly
    It may well be much more deadly than flu, but I wouldn’t put a lot of stock in the exact number right now. It is likely there are a LOT of people who have gotten a mild case of it and not sought care or been tested, so the stats will be off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by westwoodmom04 View Post
    Sure, but if you read my OP I mention that my primary concern is older relatives and ILs. The elderly have been the primary victims of this virus. Is anyone doing anything special to prepare their elderly- loved ones? (Maybe I should have put this in the Eldercare forum)
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Not even on my radar. I work in nursing homes and am vigilant about hand washing. Am required to get a flu shot and we follow strict precautions with any type of illnesses.

I can't even fatham needing to stockpile medication and food, I just don't see it getting out of hand where our community/part of the world will not be able to stay ahead of this.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Oh Dear God. Seriously???? More people die from the FLU every.year.in.the.USA. Lather, rinse, repeat. DH works in an ER--he will see the first cases. I am not worried. We are all in good health. Half the people on the cruise ship who tested positive for corona had NO SYMPTOMS. Seriously. Just wash your hands and use hand sanitizer.

DS got swine flu in 2009. We gave him Tamiflu and it helped. Nobody else got sick in the family.
    Last edited by StantonHyde; 02-25-2020 at 10:54 PM.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by StantonHyde View Post
    Oh Dear God. Seriously???? More people die from the FLU every.year.in.the.USA. Lather, rinse, repeat. DH works in an ER--he will see the first cases. I am not worried. We are all in good health. Half the people on the cruise ship who tested positive for corona had NO SYMPTOMS. Seriously. Just wash your hands and use hand sanitizer.
    Yes, exactly

Sent from my SM-A600P using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

Page 3 of 40 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast