Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    anonomom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Real Talk, How Hard are AP Classes?

DD1 is in the process of registering for 9th grade next year. Her high school offers AP world history to 9th graders, but the 8th grade teachers and counselors are recommending that none of the kids enroll in it, and instead take the same course at an "honors" level rather than AP.

This strikes me as silly. There's a real and valuable, discussion to be had over whether AP courses should be offered to 14 year olds at all, but in this case that discussion is over -- the class will be offered whether or not DD enrolls. And she has to take World History next year regardless of whether it's AP-level or not, so it seems to me like she might as well try the more challenging course. But the advice coming from the Middle School counselors is that kids should keep their course load easy as possible their freshman year, because otherwise it's "too much pressure."

I would hate to lead DD wrong, but at this point I'm skeptical of fear-mongering over how hard things are going to be in whatever level of schooling is next. We've been hearing it literally since DD was in First Grade -- every year we've been told that sure, DD isn't challenged right now, but just wait until next year! Then it gets really hard! And in the meantime I now have a kid who's taking 9th grade English and 10th grade math and getting straight As, all without showing any visible signs of effort at all. Her social studies grades haven't dipped below a 95 at any point in her entire middle school career, and when she took the SAT to qualify for a summer camp she scored better than 97% of high school students. If any child can handle an AP class, it's her.

Still, maybe APs really are that hard? It seems like they should be, if they're truly college level. Does anyone have BTDT experience? I'm particularly interested in hearing if anyone has a kid for whom school has always been kind of easy.
    DC1 -- 2005 DD -- 2009 DS -- 2011

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

It’s really hadn’t been that much more but I’m sure it is teacher dependent.
    That said, there’s a lot to transition to in high school, especially if she does activities. Taking an AP class freshman year doesn’t seem necessary. Who does take it though? Is it upperclassmen who talk the regular or honors version in 9th grade and just want a deeper dive? Or are the classes mostly 9th graders who ignored the advice of the counselors and teachers? That would really impact my choice. If the AP is really World History 2 then she shouldn’t take it now. Like our kids take science then can choose to do AP of them later. The material really picks up where their first class left off.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

anonomom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Those are really good questions. I know it's the first year that AP World will offered to Freshmen, and it's my understanding that the history curriculum is very proscribed in our school system -- World in 9, civics in 10, American in 11 and personal finance in 12. That would lead me to surmise that AP World is only offered to Freshmen, but I could be totally wrong. I need to ask.

There are so, so many AP options at my kids' school. In my day, you could take ONE each of a science, language, English, Math and History, and not until your senior year in any event. That DD could graduate from HS with up to 10 APs boggles my mind, and I wish our school offered more info on the various paths/options.
    DC1 -- 2005 DD -- 2009 DS -- 2011

KpbS is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

AP classes are traditionally for upperclassmen so I understand that guideline.

There are fairly specific course guidelines and materials to cover, but a good bit of the difficulty can be based on the teacher. I probably would not have my child take an ap class as a freshman.
    K

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Right- our history is set up similarly minus the grade 12 requirement. Many ambitious kids double up on things- mine is taking AP Physics and Organic Chemistry this year. Kids often double up either for interest or because they need something as a pre-req. So, it might still be an upper class course and interested kids just take that plus another social studies.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

KpbS is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I just reread your post. I think your DD could totally take the class, given her academic achievements. I say go for it. Worst case scenario? A "B" for the class? What other courses will she have next year? Will her Math be much harder? Which English class?
    K

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

DS3 hasn't had any issues Hes a bright kid at a school with pretty high standards. He took 1 AP & 5 honors classes freshman year Passed the AP test with a 4 i think. Hes a sophomore and taking 3 AP ( Euro history US World History and computer science) 3 honors & spanish3 online. If she likes history I say go for it.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

Globetrotter is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Over the years, I have noticed that the difficulty varies a lot between schools and, within a school, between teachers! Can you find out who is teaching it and what is the teachers reputation? Also take a look at the textbook and see what your dd thinks. DS would have done it, had it been an option in ninth grade. Here they do not allow any APs until 10th grade, and at that point only one. In 11th and 12th they can take multiple APs, but even that they are trying to curtail them, for various reasons, mainly to reduce stress. However, I’m comfortable with ds taking a full load because he does not get stressed. If your kid is like that, And if you think she would truly enjoy the subject, go for it! I assume your school is like ours and they are trying to prevent kids from overextending themselves if they cannot handle it, And that is the messaging. That Doesn’t apply to the kids who truly need a challenge.
    "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What? You, too? I thought I was the only one." C.S. Lewis

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

AP classes are often a bigger time suck outside of class than regular or honors level. Projects, reports, team projects... If she is very involved in outside activities, you might want to ask about that, as well.

o_mom is online now Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Here AP World is only available to freshmen! If you don't take it then, you don't take it at all.
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast