Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

This is almost EXACTLY the conversation DH, DD1, and I had a month ago! Our high school doesn't have APWH but they offer 3 Honors classes (math, English, and Global Studies). DD1 is in 8th grade now and getting an A+ in every class (including PE, where grades are based on a timed mile and I keep telling her not to stress about her mile time). Yet her 8th grade teacher was pushing hard for NOBODY to take Honors classes in 9th grade when they move on. At our parent-teacher conference, she even emphasized to me, "My kids didn't take Honors classes and the colleges don't care. They're doing great in college. I really think it's not worth it at all to take them, especially as a freshman." It would be one thing if she felt DD1 wasn't ready, but she has a unilateral policy of discouraging everyone from taking Honors classes.

DH thinks she's ridiculous and was annoyed the teacher pushed so hard to limit/avoid Honors classes and wondered why she was taking this stance. He thinks it's a real disservice to parents who don't research other opinions to emphatically take this position. I'm just surprised as she's a longtime teacher (been at our school 15+ years?).

Anyhow, the other students in DD1's advanced math, English, etc. classes are taking 1-2 Honors classes. DD1 decided to take all 3 Honors classes. I pointed out that she can try it and always transfer to the regular class if she wants. My understanding is that it's harder to transfer from regular to Honors if regular is too easy as opposed to moving down if Honors is too hard.

erosenst is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Reading the additional posts reminds me of something else - at least at DD's school, kids 'hop around' in AP and Honors more than I would have thought. As examples, she and many of her friends took AP World and AP Human - but will take regular US History. APUSH (AP US History) is another killer class at our high school. DD has done well in Human but hasn't enjoyed that or World. The AP Human teacher recommends what class to take next year, but looks at the kids' whole schedule. For those who don't like it, and still have a challenging course load, she suggests regular which I find interesting but support.

Another example - DD and about 150 other kids are two years ahead in math. She did honors Algebra II last year, but dropped to the middle of three Pre-Calc/Trig classes this year. The honors teacher is known to be 'really not good at all' and at least half the kids (more?) drop down - but are still eligible for, and do take, either AP Stats or AP Calc A/B junior year and then one more senior year.

DD will still end up with a ridiculous-to-me number of AP classes (quick count says 12 but I may be off one or two) , so I think she's making the right decisions - but the biggest thing is that it depends on the kid and the classes. There isn't a one size fits all.

If the school says not to take it, I wouldn't. My oldest is at a very rigorous private school, and has been there since lower school. She has always been in advanced classes and is taking two honors classes this year (that is the max offered--math is 2 years ahead), and she is getting her butt kicked trying to keep up with the workload. She plays a sport every season as well, but there is just a lot of adjustment with freshman year, social life tends to pick up with high school, and a lot more school work. Next year she has the option to take AP World History, and three honors classes, but we are not going to let her take more than three. In your shoes, I would have her take the recommended advanced track for 9th, and then dial up in future years, if she wants to.

Quote Originally Posted by ray7694 View Post
    As crazy as it is setting courses should also factor into college selection. In our area taking Honors is almost equal to AP outside of the credit to show student ability. Many colleges want you to take their courses so splitting hairs over an AP course seems silly to me unless it was needed for college.
    At our school too. Three points added to GPA for honors class, five for AP.

o_mom is online now Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by erosenst View Post
    Reading the additional posts reminds me of something else - at least at DD's school, kids 'hop around' in AP and Honors more than I would have thought.
    Yep - DS's schedule for the next couple years (same school, same grade) is a mish-mash of regular, honors, DC, AP, and IB - I don't think there is a level he hasn't hit, depending on the subject.
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

DS1 took AP US History in 9th and is in AP World now in 10th. They could be considered an English writing class on the topic of history. He has a lot of writing homework. Maybe an average of 1.5-2 hours a night most nights? APUSH was more, but he understands how to do the writing more now, so gets through it faster.

DD will be in 9th next year and has declined to take APUSH. She does not have 2 hours a night of homework in her
    Kris

Twoboos is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I think it varies. Our school does not offer any APs for freshmen, and only 2 for sophomores. DD1 is taking both and it is a lot of work, especially USHistory. That one is a two-year course for us. It is ton of reading and note taking but she said once you figure out how to fit it all in its not as bad. Apparently one teacher is easier and the kids usually get 3-4s and one teacher is harder (hers) and they usually get 4-5s.

DD2 is an excellent student as well but is thinking she might pass on APUSH and just do honors.
    "Every mother needs a wife." - Amy Poehler, Yes Please

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Ds1 just said (unprompted) that he didn’t know why people were afraid of APs because most were pretty easy. Thought it was a timely contribution here.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Ds1 just said (unprompted) that he didn’t know why people were afraid of APs because most were pretty easy. Thought it was a timely contribution here.

DS3 talks more about which AP Teachers not to take vs the actual class.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post

DS1 does well in his, but some are a ton of work. He has AP English Lang now and some nights are hours and hours of homework. Some are none. Last Monday he had 8 questions that were assigned by the sub. He actually emailed the teacher wondering if it was right. He skipped robotics and worked the whole night and finished 4 of them. He spent about 5 hours on that assignment and some time on other homework too.

But AP Statistics is pretty easy with no homework ever it seems.
    Kris

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3