Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

My dad was laid off from his tech executive job and at 55 or so, was deemed "too old" to start over and couldn't get hired. So he involuntarily retired early. He ended up writing a textbook and teaching at some universities in Asia (he has his PhD in Electrical Engineering). My mom worked for the state and retired once her pension vested (I can't recall when exactly, but after my kids were born so within the past 8 years). They help with grandkids, they watch a ton of TV/surf the net, and they take some classes (my mom does Zumba!).

FIL died unexpectedly after a surprise cancer diagnosis. He had been working part-time (maybe 3-4 hours/day 4 days/week) before he was admitted to the hospital. Yet I don't know if he ever would have retired as he loved his job. His parents lived to their mid-90s so we never thought he'd die before he turned 70. MIL was a stay-at-home parent after DH was born. She is now traveling and spending time with friends.
    Last edited by smiles33; 02-27-2020 at 07:53 PM.

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

My parents didn’t really chose to retire or have a plan or money for retirement. My dad was contracting and eventually work died out when he was in his early 60s and my mom got stage IV colon cancer at about that same time. From then on they lived off SS and were dependent on me/DH. We got a 2 family home and they helped with the boys. My dad passed away 3 years ago. My MIL lived with my SIL until her death. She also had no savings but my SIL had a small pension from being a teacher and DH/I supported her.
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

legaleagle is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Inlaws both retired from state government the second they turned 62 (literally same month) and moved back nearer to where DH grew up (and his brother still lives). They are long divorced. MIL rarely leaves her apartment now for various reasons but seems to be doing ok financially with SS+ her pension. FIL is much busier - he got remarried (to his high school girlfriend!) a couple years ago and they seem to keep busy.

My mom 95% retired a year or so ago at 70 though she still helps out a bit/meets with old clients (BIL & I took over her legal practice- we've both been here 10+ years). She had been phasing out earlier and probably actually would have retired a bit earlier if it hadn't been for DS4/my maternity leave. The funniest part is now my stepdad who never really worked much (not particularly successful real estate agent) got another job and works way more now! I think having her at home all time was driving both of them crazy.

My dad retired at 59. My siblings & I have been estranged from him for almost 5 years but he finally moved to a senior community and stopped driving (probably should have at least 10 years ago).

legaleagle is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

double post!

hwin708 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

My mother retired suddenly at 50. She didn't like some changes at work, and just up and decided she was done. We were all terrified what she would be like with all that free time. Turns out - she's amazing. Became a much calmer, happier person all around, and has been extremely busy with her hobbies in retirement. Apparently she was very stressed at work all those years, making her cranky at times. We were all surprised, as it was truly an optional job. There was no need for her to work at all. She just felt it was "appropriate." And at 50, she decided she didn't care about appropriate any more lol. She's a very involved grandmother and is perfectly happy in retirement.

My father (now deceased) retired at 55. He had worked hard and long hours for his entire life, and just felt like it was time to enjoy the life he had built. Unfortunately, I don't think it was the right fit for him. He just didn't know what to do with himself in retirement. He remained very social, but without that intense grind of work, he was just adrift. He could never properly figure out how to fill his days, unlike my mother.

The difference has made me very aware of the need to have SPECIFIC time-consuming hobbies, that can be pursued even with aging bodies. Not just "oh, I enjoy gardening, I'll garden some when I retire." I really think you need to have something that essentially becomes like another job, that can consume a good chunk of your time and keep your brain moving.

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

My father will never retire; he was laid off almost 10 years ago and had difficulty finding another job in his industry (banking.) He works in a chain grocery store as a restock clerk and online order shopper. He's 67.

My mother holds a BSN and has kept her nursing license current, but she doesn't work regularly due to some medical problems her husband has (diagnosed with Parkinson's in the last year-ish, on top of being a multiple cancer survivor and having mental health issues) although she has done some day-trading every now and again. She also holds a meditation therapy certification of some sort, but I don't know how or whether she's been able to grow that business. (It's like a life-coach type of a thing.)

Mom is 65; husband is almost 78 if I have my math right.

I am not entirely sure what she's looking to do when Death comes knocking for him, but I would expect her to look into possible nursing management jobs - she's held those before and thrived in that kind of environment.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3