Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question How do you spend your birthday?

If your birthday falls on a day when you're not working and don't have other obligations (kid's tournament, family event, etc.), how do you like to spend it?

Do you split it up with time to yourself, time with a friend/ friends, time with your immediate family, and time with your parents or extended family? What do you prefer to do if the weather is nice enough to be outside? How about when the weather isn't the best, and you need to be indoors?
    How about meals? Do you like to cook at home, get carryout, or go out to eat? Any places that you know of where they give a free appetizer/ meal/ drink/ dessert on your birthday?

Just curious, and looking for some new ideas. . Thanks!

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

My last 3 birthdays fell on a day a major Star Wars film premiered. To make things easier on my family and especially husband who always wants to do something big for me but never ends up doing something I want to do, I told them how we would spend it. I told them 2 months in advance that I wanted to see those Star Wars movies in an IMAX theatre (which is more than an hour away). And I picked out a gift for myself which DH sort of wrapped (I gave him the gift back and tissue paper, he shoved it in). Also, the day before while the kids were in school and DH was at work, I booked a half day at a local spa. I haven’t done that in several years. Good birthdays.

Unfortunately, also on my birthday was the kids’ school Christmas concert. I HATE THOSE CONCERTS. The kids do too and begged for me to use birthday clout to get them out of it. But the school days it’s mandatory and so we all
    sucked it up and went.
    Last edited by gatorsmom; 02-26-2020 at 12:27 PM.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Oops, double post.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

*laughs* Honestly, I can't think of the last time my birthday fell on a day where I wasn't under some sort of obligation to be elsewhere doing something that wasn't my choice. Either work, or travel for my niece's wedding, or family Easter celebrations.
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)

This year, I have the boys’ elementary conferences. We usually bring food in since going out is more stressful. I often meet a friend for lunch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

basil is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

My birthday is in the middle of the summer, so for the past few years I've taken the day off or a few days off and taken the kids to my parents' beach house. Then we bake a cake (mix) and have hamburgers on the grill and corn on the cob and swim in the ocean and walk on the beach. It is usually hot. I love it!

Last year for my milestone birthday I had planned the same, only DH injured himself and ended up needing surgery that day. So I sat in the waiting room of the surgery center all day. No one's fault, but I am still resentful of the universe for ruining my birthday ;-)
    DS- 8/11
    DD- 5/14

basil is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

double post
    DS- 8/11
    DD- 5/14

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Now that my DC are older I usually buy theater tickets and make a reservation for dinner so they can take me out for dinner and a show near my birthday. I’m not fussy about it being on my birthday but that’s how I like to celebrate. Last year DH was away for my bday so I went out to lunch with a friend and then ordered pizza for my DC. No cooking and easy clean up - win win!! When my DC were younger we would go to the zoo or out for a hike.

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I never really have plans on my birthday besides going out to dinner somewhere so I don't have to cook! My birthday is in the summer.

Sent from my SM-A600P using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

Neatfreak is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

This year, it turns out that I have to host my book club on my birthday, which I'm not 100% excited about, but at least I like the book we're chatting about. But the next day, I'm dragging my family around a historical part of town while I do a photowalk, so I'm really looking forward to that!
    ~ Laura

One in 2004 and the other one in 2008

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast