Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mommy111 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by gatorsmom View Post
    My last 3 birthdays fell on a day a major Star Wars film premiered. To make things easier on my family and especially husband who always wants to do something big for me but never ends up doing something I want to do, I told them how we would spend it. I told them 2 months in advance that I wanted to see those Star Wars movies in an IMAX theatre (which is more than an hour away). And I picked out a gift for myself which DH sort of wrapped (I gave him the gift back and tissue paper, he shoved it in). Also, the day before while the kids were in school and DH was at work, I booked a half day at a local spa. I haven’t done that in several years. Good birthdays.

Unfortunately, also on my birthday was the kids’ school Christmas concert. I HATE THOSE CONCERTS. The kids do too and begged for me to use birthday clout to get them out of it. But the school days it’s mandatory and so we all
    sucked it up and went.
    You go girl! Take control
    '...everything can be taken from a man but one thing, the Last of the Human Freedoms, the ability to choose one's behavior in any set of circumstances, the Freedom to Choose One's Own Way.' -Viktor Frankle

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Chart

marinkitty is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

My birthday is a week before Christmas and has always been in the midst of some sort of chaos. The last time I really felt like it was celebrated the way I'd ideally want was probably senior year of high school! During college and law school usually I was in exams. When I worked, it was always insane because year end and deals were closing. With kids, it's the crazy performance/party/end of school/get ready for the holidays death spiral. So I haven't done much that's special for years and honestly I don't really care because I'm not one to get super hung up on any given day and plenty of things in life are terrific the rest of the year.

BUT --- I turn 50 this year and I already told DH we are doing it UP! I'm traveling with DH (leaving kids home) before my birthday (to avoid the whole last week of school before break craziness) to celebrate and then we are having a family celebration on the actual day. I have to plan it and I fully plan to tell DH what he will be giving me (I haven't decided this yet but have some ideas). He's not a talented gift giver and I am perfectly happy to tell him what I want and even buy it for myself with his money! Gatorsmom- You and I would get along well in this respect!

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

So, one year, WrestleMania fell on my birthday. DH got me a Daniel Bryan birthday card. (I haven't watched regularly since the "Attitude Era.")

Another year, DH managed to remember in time to pick up Indian takeout (I love Indian food; we have some excellent takeout places here because there's a large Indian population here in town), including samosas (one of my favorite treats.)

This year ... I'll be at the ice rink with DD in the middle of the afternoon.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Quote Originally Posted by essnce629 View Post
    I never really have plans on my birthday besides going out to dinner somewhere so I don't have to cook! My birthday is in the summer.

Sent from my SM-A600P using Tapatalk
    Same. I’m apparently low maintenance on that front. Sometimes flowers, husband does a good job with gifts, and one good set of friends is more excited about my birthday and makes me go out to dinner! When my grandmother was alive, she loved to host birthday dinner and her amazing cake. That was a tradition that I will miss. But mostly, life goes on. Also summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Not a big deal, it totally depends if the kids have sports events. Maybe drinks or dinner with friends, it's not something I really think about. Now that my kids are older they do something for me at home, DD either bakes a cake or picks up one.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

bcafe is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

It's just another day for me. Once I hit a certain age, well, my birthdays are just a day. My DD has the same bday as I do so we concentrate on her, much to her delight.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2