Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

I plan to teach my kids the way I learned. I eased into it with baby steps and as my confidence grew I would do more. But I have the time in the mornings to let them drive, drop them off, then be on my way. I started in parking lots like many already mentioned. Or just backing out of our driveway. Then driving to the bus stop. Then eventually driving to school. Doing quick errands with my parents to common places I would be driving to often once I got my license. I remember being terrified of merging onto highways so we would practice early on Sundays with little traffic and gradually practice during busier times.
    Mom of two girls and a boy

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I have no idea! DS1 has had his permit since November, but hasn't even sat in the driver's seat yet! I figure once he finishes his ACT test prep and takes the test April 4th he'll have his weekends more open again and that's when I'll sign him up for the driver's training. Being in LA traffic is insane and we've got some pretty hardcore freeway drives (like merging onto 1 freeway and crossing all 6 lanes immediately to get to our exit)! I'd like to teach him the absolute basics before driver's training but don't even know where to find an empty parking lot to practice in! But yeah, I want him to have enough experience driving before heading to college.

Sent from my SM-A600P using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Here you can't drive until you take and pass driver's ed which includes 6 hours driving instruction and 24 hours of classroom. DS did that in May and got his permit in early June.

After that, he needed 30 hours with a parent, including 2 at night and then another classroom instruction to get to the next level. Finally, he needs a total of 50 hours, including 10 at night, and then a road test. He has all his hours now and we will schedule a road test over spring break.

As for teaching him...we had a rule from age 14 on that when he was in the front passenger seat, his phone was put away and he was paying attention to me driving. We talked a lot as situations came up and I'd point out things I was noticing. Once he had a permit, he drove and I always talk him through as needed. He's doing pretty well, but is definitely missing certain types of experience. When he gets his license in May, he'll be fine doing local driving, but I won't let him go on the freeway until he practices with me more. We are about 25 min from a freeway and just don't use it often enough for me to feel comfortable with him on it.

Other than that, he drives when he's in the car, unless there is a good reason. He's driven in snow, hard rain, traffic, construction zones, etc.
    Kris

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default How do you teach someone to drive?

Quote Originally Posted by essnce629 View Post
    I have no idea! DS1 has had his permit since November, but hasn't even sat in the driver's seat yet! I figure once he finishes his ACT test prep and takes the test April 4th he'll have his weekends more open again and that's when I'll sign him up for the driver's training. Being in LA traffic is insane and we've got some pretty hardcore freeway drives (like merging onto 1 freeway and crossing all 6 lanes immediately to get to our exit)! I'd like to teach him the absolute basics before driver's training but don't even know where to find an empty parking lot to practice in! But yeah, I want him to have enough experience driving before heading to college.

Sent from my SM-A600P using Tapatalk
    Yeah I was reading about the empty parking lots and thought... mmm where can we find that?! There is a baseball field at end of our road that can be empty, depends on game times. We live in a canyon and it’s a mile to the main road. There’s lots of side streets, but some are narrow and twisty with cars parked on the side. No quiet sub-divisions with little traffic to practice. But once they learn how to merge from the 101 to the 405 across 5 lanes, they’ll be able to drive anywhere!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Globetrotter is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by niccig View Post
    Yeah I was reading about the empty parking lots and thought... mmm where can we find that?! There is a baseball field at end of our road that can be empty, depends on game times. We live in a canyon and it’s a mile to the main road. There’s lots of side streets, but some are narrow and twisty with cars parked on the side. No quiet sub-divisions with little traffic to practice. But once they learn how to merge from the 101 to the 405 across 5 lanes, they’ll be able to drive anywhere!

Can you use mall parking lots on Sunday morning, or company, library or high school lots on the weekend or when they are closed, though that can be hit or miss since there are weekend events. I took dd to a public park lot the first time.
    Initially she did Highway driving on weekend mornings only, as we too have horrendous traffic, though LA traffic is on a whole other level!
    "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What? You, too? I thought I was the only one." C.S. Lewis

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

But once they learn how to merge from the 101 to the 405 across 5 lanes, they’ll be able to drive anywhere!
    Every day I take the 405 south to the 101 and have to merge across all the lanes in a few seconds through traffic to get to our exit! I'm going to tell DS to just take his time and to just get off on the next exit if it's too chaotic! Sometimes I can barely make it across in time!
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

squimp is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Aren't there any megachurches in your area? That is where we practiced. And the county fairgrounds. But we don't even have an interstate in my town, so I hear you!

LD92599 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

this is where our Sunday blue laws are PERFECT! Tons of huge empty parking lots on Sundays! DS1 goes for his license next week!

Twoboos is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

It's so hard - as a passenger I have discovered there are SO MANY trees and mailboxes on the side of the road (not that any have been hit yet LOL!). I am gripping the door even though I don't need to, DD has been a pretty good driver. But it's a constant heart attack for me.

Definitely start in a parking lot, then around your nhood, then onto a typical/known/"easy" route like going to school. Definitely get the "Student Driver" magnets from Amazon. And when your kid gets out of the car and you drive off, don't forget to take them off.

We have to have 12hrs of driving time and 8hrs observation, plus 40 hours driving with parent, but the drivers ed teacher recommends 80 - all before they can go for the license. ETA: We were away last week for Feb vaca so DD hasn't driven for a couple of weeks and needs to get back at it!
    "Every mother needs a wife." - Amy Poehler, Yes Please

marinkitty is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Our favorite place to practice before they are road ready is the local cemetery. It's quiet, has lots of little roads so you feel like you are on a street vs. just in a huge lot.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3